magicjack.com page on DSLReports

Review by Gork See Profile

• Location: Bountiful,Davis,UT
Good "Small yearly bill"
Bad "Reliability, call quality, long list of phone numbers they won't let you dial"
Overall "The bad simply outweighs the good due increasing prices and too many blocked call centers"

6/13/2012

I updated my review to reflect a worse value now that the price has gone up and they don't allow you to connect to more and more phone numbers. The call quality went down considerably as well. The increase of price and decrease of the service itself no longer makes MJ a good value. I am not a customer anymore as of April and don't plan on ever returning.

*****

I couldn't really rate tech support - I've never contacted them. The biggest problem I have is that the computer has to be on to use this service. And not only that, the software has been very buggy for me and has interfered with other applications I run on the computer. I have ordered a cheap sub $100 computer to just run magicJack to combat this problem. I'm somewhat computer savvy and the "cost to problems ratio" has been more than worth it to me, especially since I have seen constant improvement. And honestly, the problems are nowhere as much of an issue as those I had with Vonage when I joined up with them when they had only been around for about six months.

Problems with the quality of the service/connections I've had: 1) Software updates itself then doesn't work until I manually restart it; 2) rogue DTMF tones (seems to have been fixed with a recent update); 3) A few times a week someone will call but the call doesn't come through; 4) Calls drop 2-3 times per month; 5) Though not often, the sound quality when connected goes to pot; 6) It almost seems like the service is half duplex instead of full. While this is not the case, I can rarely truly hear what the other party says if I'm talking and vice versa. It works well enough to know they said SOMETHING though.

I use MJ for my only phone line and for $20/yr ($50 for the first year) it's more than worth the price. Would I pay $20 or even $10 per MONTH? No way. But for the price, I'm happy.

Comments: