magicjack.com page on DSLReports

Review by CUBS_FAN See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
Good "No longer needs to be connected to a computer!!"
Bad "They block access numbers to calling cards!!"
Overall "for $40 a year you can't go wrong.. But when they start blocking numbers they are interfering with my phone and got dropped."

9/8/2012
Going back to Vonage because Magic Jack is blocking the local access number to the calling card we are dialing to make international calls. They are declaring them conference line numbers and instead of connecting me they try to offer me prepaid conference line numbers. (finger)

9/4/2012
Now using MagicJack Plus as my land line phone! I couldn't pass up the new Plus feature of using it as a stand alone device plugged directly into the outlet. I'm paying an extra $10 per year ($50 total) because Ive ported my phone number over from Vonage. Been having a little issue with it needing a reset by unplugging the device completely. I contacted support via live chat and they had me install the user interface on my laptop. That installation pushed a new "firmware" onto the device. So far I haven't seen any issues. Since I chose stand-alone setup the MagicJack Plus device never received any updated firmware???

7/14/2011
No longer have the connections in the Philippines and no longer using the devices.. When the connection was reliable MagicJack performed great and I would refer anyone to use it. As time went on from the 12/2009 install the Wireless internet connection deteriorated to the point that a phone call was not capable of being made or received. Globe Telecom's fault.

7/10/2010

I guess everything is OK. Our calls to and from the Philippines are just fine. At times I hear an echo but I think the DSL connection in the Philippines is at fault with latency issues.

12/22/2009

Installed and registered a local phone # with ease at home and brought it to the Philippines. Works great even with a connection rated at 800kbps down and 200kbps up. I made all sorts of calls to Chicago and Canada with no issues at all. Both parties can hear each other when an accidental double talk occurs.

I wont be spending $100 per month on international calls anymore.

member for 9.3 years, 939 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

VexorgTR

join:2012-08-27
Sheffield Lake, OH

Why got get a REAL voip company....

Instead of going back to Vonage, why not select someone who doesn't stink.

Have a look at the report ratings here, the top dog is CallCentric out of NY. If you need help with it, let me know... That's THE king on VOIP.

·Vonage

Re: Why got get a REAL voip company....

I went back to them because they just now included the Philippines with unlimited calls to Globe telecom. And non Globe subscriber's cost just 9 cents per minute which is the same rate as the prepaid telecom I was using all these years. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone. I got rid of MJ and their number blocking and get rid of the prepaid access number I had to dial all these years. Also since I was a returning customer I got a new VOIP device for free (I replaced the one that was giving me connection issues and helped me decide to drop them back in May) and along with a 30 day no-strings attached trial period.

Lena

@alter.net
MajicJack works only at the beginning of the service, and the closer you are towards the renewal of the service - the worse service you get. So to call this Company "Kings" - I would think twice!

No to add - customer service is HORRIBLE. You can never talk to a live person.

Chicago, IL

Re: Why got get a REAL voip company....

said by Lena :

. So to call this Company "Kings" - I would think twice!

I believe he was calling CallCentric "King on the VOIP"

cb14

join:2013-02-04
Miami Beach, FL

wow

100% for call quality? My,my... a lucky guy. And it is difficult to give their tech support more than 0.

Re: wow

Yes, 100% for call quality. My internet at 25/5 was more than enough to produce a clear call. Their tech support is non-existent and to get help you have to call a pay per minute line..

Davesworld

join:2007-10-30
Everett, WA
·Future Nine Corp..
·Callcentric

said by CUBS_FAN:

Bandwidth is the least of your worries with voip.

It's Jitter, Latency and Packet loss that are the VOIP killers. A 1.5/350 connection with low latency, low jitter and no packet loss will wipe the floor with a 25/5 connection that has higher jitter and latency if you only produce two to three simultaneous calls. Of packet loss, there should be none at all these days.

said by Davesworld:

with a 25/5 connection that has higher jitter and latency

I just left Comcast due to the issues you've mentioned. The person who I was calling complained that I was breaking up. At the same time I was getting the lowest 15ms ping responses from local servers and 40% of them were lost. Some replies were 1000ms & up. I gave up and moved on to VDSL U-Verse which isn't shared and has little or no jitter at all being a designated line and not shared with the neighbors..

Davesworld

join:2007-10-30
Everett, WA

Re: wow

I would love VDSL. I have ADSL for the same reasons you mention. The only cable I would ever consider is business class and even then I'm not sure you would get higher priority over bandwidth on your node with all your neighbors.

Re: wow

That's a good point. Business class or not, you're still sharing the line.
What's good about VDSL is they have the 45/6 package available on my line too. the 24/3 connected by wireless gives me about 22 down and 2.9 up.. Can't complain about the upload.

cb14

join:2013-02-04
Miami Beach, FL

Re: wow

I have absolutely no issues with VOIP on my VDSL line. I had issues with Magic Junk. So had other people and so do have other people who still use that garbage and I have to talk to them.

Re: wow

MagicJunk is a pretty good nickname for them. They are the main reason's why everyone is getting solicitations from overseas caller's showing local #'s trying to fool people into answering the phone without knowing its some stupid salesman or scammer from Nigeria.
I had MJ+ for such a short period of time that I never knew if I fixed the problem with it periodically losing sync requiring a power cycle of the device by simply unplugging it. And the thing about blocking conference call lines is a whole other bag of apples to talk about.