magicjack.com page on DSLReports

Review by greenman See Profile

• Location: Athens,Clarke,GA
Good "Fairly transparent phone availability, no computer necessary."
Bad "When Cable HSI is out, the phone is out. Chat support is not so great."
Overall "We've cut the cord on AT&T, but at the price of being our own phone support."

I bought mine at RadioShack. I installed it the same day.
We had to disable the copper-telephone connection and set up mJ to take over the house lines. We set up the phone, modem and router on an Uninterruptable Power Supply (UPS) because we get frequent one-second burps in our power. This keeps the system going even when the power is inconsistent.

I had a few hiccups with a high Ringer Equivalency Number, but once we upgraded our phones, there have been few problems.

We have noticed that some people in our LATA have trouble getting through, but we can call them. A recent Lucky You update seems to have cured those hiccups for the most part.

Granted, magicJack is only as good as your internet connection's bandwidth, your ISP's uptime and your power company. You also end up being your own phone support.

It was a bit of a headache to begin with, but for the most part, the service is transparent and consistent. (At least it has been since the last 'Lucky You' update.)

We have Charter's lowest tier of HSI at 15Mbps down/ 3 up (real 10/3). We notice no problems when uploading email with large files or streaming youtube or hulu. Often, I will be using skype while my wife is on the magicJack with no trouble.

I'm glad we no longer pay $70/month to AT&T. This has been worth it for us.

Comments: