magicjack.com page on DSLReports

• Location: N2H5L
Good "Works well most of time."
Bad "Customer service is worst I have ever had."
Overall "Don't buy Magic Jack!!!!~!!!"

If your magic jack registered the first time you try, you're in luck for a while. However it does not, you may as well toss it out. They put you "under review" for any number of stupid reasons and won't allow you or anyone else to use that magic jack. I bought a "magic jack plus unit and was planning to switch to it at my next renewal. My son bought one to use as his main service for his first home. When we tried to register his unit, we used his credit card, which still had his old address on it. Thsi happened on Aug 4th, 2012. After spending hours on a "chat" with their customer service, we determined that the credit card was the problem. We then tried another credit card and still could not get it registered. Magic Jack customer service said they would "put in a ticket" and the responsible department would send us an email. A week went by and nothing, so I contacted them by "chat" again. (there may have been other "chats" but so much time has passed that I don't remember everything) After getting absolutely nowhere again after spending a long time on this chat, they again said they would "put in a ticket" and the responsible department would send us an email. So I used my magic jack that I had bought to use myself. Possibly because we used the same email address or physical address, they put that one "under review" as well. Fast forward to now, 13 weeks later. I have had many, many "chats" with them, spent countless hours trying to get my magic jacks working, and have now come to the conclusion that it will never happen. I live in Canada and have found a Canadian alternative that provides a much better deal, with no hassles and live bodies to talk to. With freephoneline.ca I bought a Grandview HT502 off the internet for $45.00 (included shipping and taxes), then paid $50.00 plus tax for some coding from freephoneline, and now I pay nothing ever again except 2 cents per minute for US long distance and any remote area of Canada not served by the main phone companies. I doubt I'll ever pay more than a few bucks a year for that. In addition, the sound quality is better, you can even use it for fax and modem calls and the company has been around for many years. NO MORE BILLS AT ALL and great customer service. (had to use it during setup)

For the people in the US, the best alternative I have found is netTalk DUO. Basically same as Magic Jack, but they have good reviews and live people to "talk" to. I suspect that Magic Jack will be out of business soon. They are really pushing the 5 year package hard, so I suspect they will get as much money in as possible, then leave their customers high and dry. I recommended them to many people and got them setup, but will now be changing them over to freephoneline.ca. I would not trust magic jack. We tried to return the second unit to Tiger Direct, but they will not accept returns for Magic Jack. Anything else they will, but not Magic Jack. Does that tell you something? 13 weeks now and not one email for either unit!

(review was emailed from domain live.ca)

Comments:

TSI Martin
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

Maybe....

...there was a mistake, maybe a lack of attention, but since you posted this in the TekSavvy review board, I was wondering if there is anything related to TekSavvy we may be of help with.

Thanks,
Martin
TSI Martin (Escalations / Social Media) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow me on Twitter : @TSIMartin
PX Eliezer7
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

1 recommendation

Re: Maybe....

Even more confusing, he gave a very bad review to MagicJack, yet he gave them top scores in each category.

David Heffes

@codetel.net.do

Impossible service renovation passing first year

As I said, I tried many times to pay the service and the money allways rejected. I soke many times with the online chat service and they allways say that I should wait for a solutionfrom " the head office". I' talking about 4 month with cancelled service(means no phone calls in or out). Seems to me that nobody cares in this company for old custommers, but they still promoting their product to new people. This is an horrible service

Bluebird

@eastlink.ca

Local Incoming Calls

I bought the Magic Jack & a local Canadian# (Halifax,NS) but was shocked to find out that anyone calling me had to pay long distance even though they had Halifax#s. After contacting customer support I was told that they had to pay long distance because the exchage#s were differant from the one assigned by Magic Jack even though they were all Halifax#s. That is rediculous !!!!! my next door neighbor has to pay long distance to call me !!!! I wouldn't have anyone calling me any more. I RETURNED THE EQUIPMENT back to the store & I would not recommend this to anyone. Sucks because I really wanted to dump the local phone company.

Mabel Hayes

@197.251.145.x

RE :MAGIC JACK

This company should not be in business. They have no contact #. They compare themselves with companies set up for online business and it has not been done properly. I bought a Magic Jack and on renewal, my # disappeared. They took my money but I have no #.They could not give me any specific answer. I was so mad and a friend bought me another one and upon renewal, they took my payment yet I could not make phone calls. They claimed my payment did not go through and I asked if I should do it again and the chat was disconnected saying " I have given you all the info. you requested and at this point I will end the communication" Even though i asked a question. Their online chat has no knowledge to explain and they play "hide and seek" with questions. I believe they do not know what they are doing as a company
. It is been poorly setup and unprofessional customer service. One by name Hazel disconnected a chat with me without addressing my concerns. Magic Jack has been rated cheap. What is cheap when your money is taken away with no offer, it ain't cheap at all.
If we stop buying, they will stop producing and be out of business and we would not have to deal with their un professionalism