Bright House page on DSLReports

Review by weaseled386 See Profile

• Location: Port Orange,Volusia,FL
Good "Lightning.... LIGHTNING!"
Bad "None So Far"
Overall "Amazing Connection If You're Willing To Pay The Price!"

Update 3-4-2013: I currently use BHN for TV and Internet.

TV: I have three HDTV's setup as WH-DVR. I live alone with my 6 year old daughter, and she doesn't schedule any recordings. I imagine I'll start running into issues once she does.

Internet: BHN internet is great! I hate how much they charge to "rent" their modems, but I own my own (Moto SB6141). I'm on the newer Lightning tier, and see great speeds at all times of the day! (68.5M down, 5.8M up, 16ms.)

OLD Review:
This isn't the standard Brighthouse Networks residential service. I have the Ultimate Gamer Experience / Ultimate Value Package. Just as standard residential Turbo, the advertised speed is 15/2. The difference is you get a static IP (they provide the cable router), and you get to deal with busness tech support.

They were late for my install, but they make good for the wasted time by giving a $20 credit towards your bill. Speed is plenty! When testing to Atlanta, Tampa or Orlando I vary between 13 - 50M down and a steady 1.8M up. That is slightly lower than advertised, but it's consistent & higher than any of my many alternatives.

My only complaint is they won't give me the login/pw to my ZyXEL 964 cable router! If you have your own network downstream you need to call them and ask for DHCP & NAT to be disabled, and router put in BRIDGE mode -- all of which can be done remotely.

The price listed above includes: 15/2 internet service, HD digital cable with DVR and HBO. Installation of all services is free.

Update 10/20/2009:

Although I've ran into a couple bumps in the last few months, I'd still recommend this service to anyone in the market for a solid broadband connection. I had a chronic issue, and three weeks in a row dispatched on a Sunday to check things out. After that didn't fix it they rewired my entire house for free.

Avoid the Xyzel cable modem at all costs. After having new ones fail I requested a different brand. The tech had an Ambit on his truck, and it has been rock solid for over a year.

Updated price from $135 to $160 to include: 15/2 business class internet, Samsung HD-DVR, HBO, Showtime, Cinemax & The Movie Channel.

Update 8/31/2010

Today was Port Orange's launch of Lightning (40/5), and I was on the list! The speeds are absolutely crazy... Some said you wouldn't notice a difference going from 20/2 to 40/5, and I say they're wrong.

There were minor glitches, but it was the first time most of the ppl I dealt with had seen this equipment. The installer did a good job; he checked all cables, ends & splitters. He read thru his training manual for installation directions, but the training manual stopped short of helping us bridge the modem.

I called in to tech support, and the first person wasn't helpful at all. He understood what I wanted, but wouldn't assist me in it because the order was still in the system. I hung up with him, and called back. This time I got a tech who walked me thru the process of bridging the modem myself.

Its only been a few hours, so I'll post back if things go bad.

member for 6.2 years, 1967 visits, last login: a few hours ago