Bright House page on DSLReports

Review by billd104 See Profile

• Location: Oldsmar,Pinellas,FL
Good "Speed, reliably & convenience"
Overall "Still the best deal for the money"

Was just upgraded to RR Lightning 40/5 on Bright House Networks. Since I was a triple play subscriber already w RR turbo 20/2 & was considering Verizon FiOS triple play 35/35, BHN made me an offer that I couldn't refuse. In this era of price increases they actually offered me more for less. Free upgrade to RR Lightning and a lower total monthly cost. Can't go wrong with that. Now with BHN entering the home security market with a fully integrated system it will get even better.

Update: 02/18/2013

Still pleased with RR Lightning and Bright House Networks. Pleasantly surprised that my speed has now increased to 60/5 and my overall package cost has gone down. Can't complain about that.

Update: 06/07/2013

Upgraded to Lightning 90/10 in May and speeds are at least 10% higher than advertised. I'm getting 104 down / 12 up consistently. Monthly bill went up less than 10% so IMHO it's a win for me!!

Update: 11/7/2014

Still pleased with BHN... Nothing more to say really. Any issues or hiccups are dispatched with in short order by Gary in the Bright House Direct forum.

member for 5.8 years, 345 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

PISSED OFF

@rr.com

Brighthouse Double Billing!!

Just found out today Brighthouse is double billing my account. I currently have phone service and RR 40. Brighthouse added a charge to my phone called a modem charge. I currently pay a modem charge for RR 40, now BH wants to charge for the same modem for my phone. They are DOUBLE BILLING CUSTOMERS for the same HARDWARE! Coin the phase, NICKLE AND DIME THE CUSTOMERS!!!!!

BHRipoff

@bhn.net

Re: Brighthouse Double Billing!!

Same situation here, we've had Brighthouse for years and now they created a new modem charge, but there is no new modem or anything added to the service they provide. Upon calling them the response is simply "Yes, it is a new charge". I am sick and tired of them raising their prices every 3 months. It is a freaking monopoly in central florida and we are pretty much stuck to just accept it or have no internet access. I already cancelled their cable service because the frequent price increases and new fees just pissed me off. But internet there is no option.

Saint Petersburg, FL

Re: Brighthouse Double Billing!!

said by BHRipoff :

We are by no means a monopoly in CFL or any of our service regions. In each there are at least two other providers available. We also do not raise our rates every three months so if your bill is reflective of additional charges something else must be going on. I would be happy to review you billing and see if we can find a package that better suits your needs.
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

said by PISSED OFF :

Contact me via PM and I will be happy to review your bill with you and seek a better solution.

softbaked

join:2013-03-15
Melbourne, FL
·Bright House

Real Response from a 5+ year Bright House Customer

"We are by no means a monopoly in CFL"
Not True, BH does have a government sanctioned monopoly for the wire "cable" in my area (Melbourne, FL) no other provider can offer services over the cable.

"In each there are at least two other providers available."
Dish "slower expensive internet with a marry me contract"

In the town next to me they getting "cable" from embark for a lot less money because there are several "cable companies" competing for the consumer, i.e. no monopoly means fair competition and consumer choice.

"We also do not raise our rates every three months"
False, I'm on the phone at least every three months negotiating something, be it "new mysterious charges" or "plan changes" or "new equipment charges", it's always something, if your not watching/fighting the bill, it will increase.

"I would be happy to review you billing and see if we can find a package that better suits your needs."
And there is the pitch in a nutshell folks... when you call and complain about price/service/bill/etc.. they always offer you a different plan that sounds like your getting something more "for the same price you are paying" i.e. no savings just a new pitch.

I checked Cable TV prices and Internet speed/prices across the US and was surprised to find that we in Central Florida under the Bright House government monopoly are paying much more than the national average.... that is the problem with a monopoly, no competition = no win for the customer.

Re: Real Response from a 5+ year Bright House Customer

said by softbaked:

"We are by no means a monopoly in CFL"

"In each there are at least two other providers available."
Dish "slower expensive internet with a marry me contract"

"We also do not raise our rates every three months"

»www.reddit.com/r/technology/comm···rfectly/

Please provide the relevant data supporting your claim.

In each there are at least two other providers available."
Dish "slower expensive internet with a marry me contract"

Your claim was you do not have choices and that we are a monopoly which is not correct. You do have choices you just don't like them.

" I'm on the phone at least every three months negotiating something, be it "new mysterious charges" or "plan changes" or "new equipment charges", it's always something, if your not watching/fighting the bill, it will increase.

Not correct. If you want me to review your billing with you I would be happy to clearly demonstrate this isn't the case. Let me know when...you can reach me at
BHNtechXpert@mybrighthouse.com

No you didn't check anywhere but here at DSLR which you referenced in your recent review of our services. That "average" cost of services is based customer reviews which is not an official, accurate or for that matter scientific cost comparison.

»www.reddit.com/r/technology/comm···rfectly/

Again you reference Time Warner Cable. We are not TWC...please take a moment to read »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bright_House_Networks

astemerman

join:2013-05-22
This is 100% not true. Maybe you're unaware what a monopoly is. But, there are other options available in all of central FL including Comcast. It's impossible for a cable company to be a monopoly when there are services such as Dish Network. In case you're confused on what a monopoly is... a monopoly is when only one company provides a service in a particular field and blocks any other company from providing a service in order to compete with that specific company. As I said this is 100% impossible with services like Dish Network available. I live in central FL and comcast is available to you as well also making it impossible for brighthouse to be a monopoly. Also, Brighthouse will be lowering their prices soon with Google Fiber in play(the main reason why they're up'ing their lightning tier again to 90Mbps as Google FIber doesn't cap you at $70 per month).
softbaked

join:2013-03-15
Melbourne, FL
·Bright House

Google Fiber is Bright House Cancer

Google Fiber will level the playing field for the consumer and Bright House is very afraid... the way over-priced services they provide days are numbered, Bright House is hiring every lawyer and greasing every politician they can to keep you trapped in their ridiculous pricing/service model.

Follow the link below for a very good read on the future of Bright House and how your internet choices will be limited by them no matter how much it cost them to keep you trapped.

»www.reddit.com/r/technology/comm···rfectly/

Remember way back in the beginning of the "cable revolution" when everybody was shocked that somebody would actually pay for TV when it was free? but.... it was worth it because there were very little or no commercials? Now I pay $80.00 per/month for "basic cable" which has 250+ channels of mostly garbage that is infested with commercials.

Part of my job is statistics, so I ran a month long data gathering period of logging the number and length of commercials with all the channels I watch and the end result was over 52% commercial time over actual show time. (yeah I use a DVR but that's not the point).
So BH charges us over-inflated prices and then makes another fortune on ad revenue (it's a business, I get it, but this is pure greed)

Then it gets even worse, I cross-tabbed the commercial run times between channels and found that channels/shows that are similar run commercials at the same time, so if you change the channel and your tastes are the same you will most likely find another commercial.

There is a running joke in my house, we turn the TV on and try to hold our breath while flipping through channels and cannot breath until we find a channel that is not running a commercial... most of the time we run out of breath, yeah it's that bad/common.

And we all know that the high price is also due to the fact that we have to pay for hundreds of other channels we will never watch, we cannot just order the channels we watch on a regular basis, a-la-cart, which would make it affordable and fair, but no.... cable companies lobbied that option into law. There was a cable provider in New York that started a company on that model, "just pay for the channels you watch instead of ALL the channels" guess what..? Bright House and Comcast sued him into poverty and made it a crime (with jail time) if anybody tries to use that business model again.

Your days are numbered cable giants just like the old tel-co's but I'm sure you will continue to stick it to us as long as you can.

said by softbaked:

»www.reddit.com/r/technology/comm···rfectly/

You keep making reference to Time Warner Cable. Bright House Networks is NOT Time Warner Cable in any way. Two entirely different companies. We do not service New York and have never serviced New York you are confusing us with TWC.

See »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bright_House_Networks

astemerman

join:2013-05-22

Re: Google Fiber is Bright House Cancer

This is actually 50% incorrect. TWC is in fact the parent company of Bright House Networks. Yes, BHN is a stand alone company in the same sense that Bing is a stand alone company even though their parent company is Microsoft. But, you do consider them seperate companies.

said by astemerman:

No TWC is NOT the parent company of Bright House Networks. Our parent company is privately held Advance Newhouse Communications. See »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bright_House_Networks