Bright House page on DSLReports

Review by OmagicQ See Profile

• Location: Bakersfield,Kern,CA
Good "Turbo is Fast,Fast, Fast!"
Bad "Netgear cable modem/gateway is ancient, sticky IP"
Overall "In my area Cable internet beats DSL internet for sure."

*** Update 10/13/2012 ***

I got the Netgear replaced with a Motorola SBG6580 in bridge mode and I'm using a Linksys E900 Router. I had some issues with getting knocked offline that should be fixed. The tech that came out did a professional job and answered my questions and was patient with me when I thought things weren't going as I expected. Speed tests are good, I'm getting the service I'm paying for. If the review scale went higher I'd rate tech support a 6 if I could. I'm happy with the service, the only way I could be happier was if it was free.

*** Original review ***

Had existing cable service, ordered a HD box and Turbo internet. Both work great. My only issues are the ancient Netgear CGD24G wireless cable gateway the tech installed and the sticky IP.

The gateway works but I would have preferred a wireless N router since most of the high bandwith usage devices like my Roku HD, PC and Xbox 360 all have Wireless N and I'd prefer it if the IP address changed every once in a while. I'm not paying for a static IP, I don't need a static IP, but I'm sure all the data mining services on the internet love it. I guess I could always use a VPN service that issues random IPs if I really wanted too.

Internet installation was a breeze, the tech came out and installed a splitter on the existing cable then run a cable from the splitter to the gateway. He verified the internet was working and I did a speedtest, got something close to 18/2. The HD box was also easy, just plugged the necessary cables in and it was good to go.

Compared to the DIY approach with dsl, I didn;t have to fiddle with any settings or go through some installation process, the tech did it all. All I really had to do was sign the paperwork when he finished.

Comments:

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

Glad to have been of service...

Thank you for taking the time to update your review...if there is anything you need please let me know

Gary