Bright House page on DSLReports

Review by TimW See Profile

• Location: Altamonte Springs,Seminole,FL
Good "Extremely Fast, Easy setup, Supports multiple moderate to heavy users."
Bad "Zero access to wireless router controls. Limited router compatability with older wireless adapters."
Overall "A Huge step forward for families and heavy users wishing to have a high quality connection with minimum of hastle."

Ordered the highest tier of residential service, Roadrunner Lightning. It came with a provision of 40mbs/5mbs for a cost of $81 dollars a month. With a modem/router rental of $2 dollars it totals to $83/month. Was looking for a service under the current $120 bill for DSL that included bundled phone. Due to cell phones we dont use the home line and with the problems that ISP had, most notably that the quality of service has been lacking for some time. With only a 10mbs/768kbs provision it should be a large step up in speed with the new service and with speed hopefully quality.

The sales information on the website and over the phone were excellent and when the company called to confirm details they were able to bump my installation to a day earlier. When the installer arrived we walked through the house and located a suitable Jack to use. After a few minutes the modem was online and a quick connection to the wireless confirmed it was receiving signal and fully up and running. The installation fees were waived due to a current promotion which made the missus very happy.

After a couple days of normal use the family has noticed much improved service quality from our previous provider. Pages load faster, HD video streaming is smother and has less errors, gaming is smooth and doesn't suffer from frequent lag spikes. When the mom of the house who used to constantly complain of this site not loading or that page element not loading now exclaims in glee at how many of her problems suddenly dissapeared and how much she likes not having to fight with her browser, I know ive found something special.

The only issues are an old Linksys USB Wireless adapter receives a poor signal and constantly disconnects, about every 90 seconds or so. This is despite only having to go through 1 interior wall at a flat angle and a total distance of about 15 feet. We got a new adapter, and after updating drivers to the latest, as the included drivers didnt even connect at all, it saw and connected to the router without issue. The other problem is the router itself is locked down. We werent given a login or password to allow us to change the wireless channel or secure it with our own wireless key. While this keeps the SBG6580 modem/router from getting misused or set incorrectly with inexperienced users it is disheartening to not feel trusted to administer your own network. If this is a real issue you can call tech support to have them set the modem to bridge mode and you can use your own router instead.

Overall the speed has been noticeably more consistent and even during times where 3 users are firing away it handles it like a champ.

Thanks BrightHouse!

Comments:

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

Thank you Tim!

Tim,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with Bright House Networks. If you need anything at all please don't hesitate in reaching out to me.
GeeMoe

join:2012-09-29

Re: Thank you Tim!

Not the experience i had! see below
I had the Bright House EarthLink service for years. This spring I finally bit the bullet and switched to Road Runner Lightening. Big difference huh? No way! The technician (generous term) installed a Ubee DDW3611 modem; went to the speed test site, and showed me I was getting incredible speed; provided me with no information not even my new R.R. email address and left. Before he reached the stop sign at the corner I was disappointed. THIS couldn’t be what I was now paying big bucks for. No noticeable difference at all, in fact, poorer performance than I had before. I was now waiting for simple YouTube videos to load. A day or so later I called Bright House to complain and they checked things “from their end” and told me I am getting speed as advertised. There were no changes to my system other than the new connection.
SOMETHING is obviously wrong.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

Re: Thank you Tim!

said by GeeMoe:

Not the experience i had! see below
SOMETHING is obviously wrong.

Why are you posting on someone elses review? If you have a problem lets get it taken care of but this isn't the place or the thread to do that. You have already cross posted this in the public forums as well...instead do this:

Open a direct forums thread here »Bright House Networks Direct
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~