PHONE POWER page on DSLReports

Review by Veloslave See Profile

• Location: Martinez,Contra Costa,CA
Bad "Bad prices, bad equipment, bad support"
Overall "You can do better."

11-8-13 The ATA died months ago, so all the calls started going through my cell phone. They never contact you to let you know your service isn't working... no surprise there the service has over all sucked. I'm moving on. Oh... wait till you see what awaits you when cancelling... they make AOL v1 look easy.

11/2/10 Chris called again and we looked into a couple of items. I am now getting what I call "great" customer support. Ratings have been adjusted. With time AND consistent phone performance they will continue to rise.

11/1/10 Chris called and got it going... and I will be the first to admit, although I still think this phone service has been buggy as heck, Chris gave service/support worthy of being called "customer support/service" Even Chris says that they have had a lot of issues with my account and that the setup for mine is very complicated compared to others. That seems strange to me considering I am on Comcast business... a mainstream provider AND I have a static IP AND I have put the ATA on a DMZ. I just want it to work and to get friendly/considerate help when it doesn't... I don't think that is too much to ask. I am going to raise my review from all zeros for the time being... if the service goes back down, so does the rating. I would LIKE to see this rating go up, especially "tech support" and "value for money"... and I am going to give it a little time.

Fair enough?

10/29/10 I have decided that every time my service goes down to review the service... I sure have done a lot of reviews lately. Yes PP is down again... just a week or two after it was down for a whole week. Frankly, this sucks. Been waiting to get a tech for an online chat for around 3 hours so far...

Update 10/16/10

Well... service has been down for a week now... support has been completely useless and at this point they are ignoring me and leaving me with no home phone to use. The last comment I got was "your connection is the problem" except I have tested the connection myself (and FWIW am a network engineer) have had others test it and everything is fine. "your connection" is the fall back of any VOIP company that cannot get their act together. I have a very clean and robust connection with 25/5, no packet loss, a low ping and no other issues. I am fed up with this company and do not recommend anyone to put themselves through this kind of BS. I should have known better than to agree to a 2 year contract... my bad, lesson learned. Avoid them like the plague... when the companies own support personal cannot get the product working and then leave you hanging with no service but keep right on billing you... just look elsewhere. I don't know when my contract is up but I hope it is soon. Time to write a letter to the FCC.

Update: 10/07/10

Same old not so hot service and just OK product. Don't use it a lot so it doesn't irritate me too much but I would elsewhere if it were time for a change. Still seems like VOIP (consumer grade) is immature... at least the ones that are reasonably priced.

End of update

Got some really bad service so far... no one could get it running... they wanted to end the hour and a half "trying to get it working" phone call because it is closing time. Had a guy in Chat hang up on me on purpose (Thanks DAVE you jerk) and it is still not working right not to mention it being almost unusable with FAX.

I have talked with some very nice people... but knowing what you are doing should go along with the title. Took two calls, both over an hour long to get it working/dial tone... which is intermittent/sometimes it stops working, so it is still not working right and then you get hung up on.

This is another not ready for prime time (everyday dependable residential) VOIP service that the industry is littered with. Maybe I need to move up in price range to get a dependable service WITH customer support that shines... but who are they?

Why can't more companies be run like Honda, Sonic.net and Verizon?

Product AND service... is it too much to ask?

Unfortunately in the day and age it seems the answer is "yes"

Comments:

PhonePwrTech

join:2007-07-20

Dead ATA

It wouldn't be an issue at all to replace the hardware. Unfortunately there is no way for us to determine if you disconnected the device opposed to the hardware being dead. If you are still interested in keeping your service reply to my PM with your account info and I will get your replacement shipping out asap.

Veloslave
Geek For God
join:2003-07-11
Martinez, CA
·PHONE POWER

Re: Dead ATA

You cannot tell if the service is connected or being used?

Sorry... going to call BS on that.

Maybe you chose not to and that is your choice. If I owned a company like yours... and I could tell that the service was not connected or being used for months... I would send at least an automated email asking... "everything OK over there? Just checking."

That is my opinion and if you had something like that I would still be with you.

Mom was right.... I NEED fiber!

It should be called Windows H8

PhonePwrTech

join:2007-07-20

Re: Dead ATA

Maybe some clarification might be in order. We can't discern the difference between lack of use due to a dead device or no connection. From a raw technical stand point they appear the same as the device won't be communicating with us. The concept of a "Is everything ok message" is an entirely different idea that has been brought up but there are some concerns in that some users don't connect their device at all and in turn just use our service for call forwarding. Another common scenario is customers who have the device at a vacation home.

I would be more than happy to send you a new device considering the past years of trouble free service you had after working with one of the support reps.

Veloslave
Geek For God
join:2003-07-11
Martinez, CA
·PHONE POWER

Re: Dead ATA

I am happy to see good service here on the forum... maybe there is hope.

Thank you but no, I have already switched and canceled the account and am staying with that decision due to price and contract.

The making me return the device that is A) Very old and B) dead anyway seems lame but a moot point at this juncture.

Thanks for trying and while I understand what you mean by unplugged vs dead... seems like another reason/growth pain of residential VOIP... still has pros & cons.

I will re-review my comments and make sure I have been fair when I get a sec.

Mom was right.... I NEED fiber!

It should be called Windows H8