Review by JohnInSJ
Good "Clear voice calls, good feature set, nationwide calling, number porting"
- Location: San Jose,Santa Clara,CA
- Cost: $11 per month (24 month contract)
Bad "takes a bit more than a week to port your number"
Overall "saving me $24/mo not even including LD savings"
Ease of Installation:
Value for money:
(ratings above consensus)
I've been itching to get rid of my POTS landline for years. I finally got around to looking into the millions of viop-based "land line" replacements, and after a lot of searching settled on Phonepower.
Good choice, if the initial experience is any indication
1) order kit from amazon - wait for kit to arrive
2) once kit arrived, signed up for 2 year prepay (with ALL fees for both years, it works out to about $11.50/mo - compared to AT&T's $35 for local service with no long distance, barely any local calling, with caller ID and call waiting... not even voicemail!)
3) instant dial tone* - outgoing calls worked right away, and on the day promised (which was 10 calendar days including 2 weekends after the order date late Friday) the old landline went dead and calls to the ported number ring on the PP phone.
Feature set is comparable to other providers, call quality is better than the noisy AT&T 70 year old copper lines could give me, and the price is right.
So far, no complaints at all.
Update 9/8/11: wow - 7 months already? No issues at all with the service - love the various methods of notification, call quality is fine, and compared to my previous AT&T wired pots line, from here until the end of the two year term is "free" - yep, it costs about the same for 6 months of AT&T fairly basic POTS (forget about long distance!) for two years of Phonepower (two lines, includes long distance, includes all kinds of calling features, etc, etc...) Since singing up, they opened up the SIP interface, so now I can use any SIP client I want to be able to make/receive "home" calls from anywhere. Nice.
Update 12/14/11: had a week of ISP/broadband issues. Just wanted to point out that the Phonepower failover to backup number worked fine during MY broadband outage.
member for 10.8 years, 4800 visits, last login: a few hours ago
updated 2.6 years ago