PHONE POWER page on DSLReports

Review by kmclancy See Profile

• Location: Owens Cross Roads,Madison,AL
Good "Tech Support"
Bad "Marketing misrepresents second year of contract as Free"
Overall "there are other cheaper options."

First let me say in the past year I have had no issues with service
availability, and the one time I had a sound quality issue phonepower's
technical support was quick to help fix the problem. I would still be
a customer if I did not feel their marketing was deceptive to the point it
could be fraudulent. Some will say it was my fault for not reading all the
service agreement before buying the phone adapter, but it is not easily
found on the web site and once you have paid for the adapter and paid for
the 2 years service, receiving the service agreement in a email it is a little
late to back out.

I was hooked by their as low as $8.33 a month add splashed on the
webpage.

This is only true if you agree with AT&T's billing practices. This Price does
not an additional $3.46 a month to include the free months in hidden taxes and fees.

But an even bigger surprise came when I was told after the first year I had pay the
taxes for the second year even if I did not accept the second year free offer.

Bottom line they finally agreed if I paid half of the second years taxes
and fees they would let me out of the free year option.

If I had stayed with Phonepower and paid an additional $58 as billed for
the free years taxes and fees it would have cost me $11.75 a month not
the $8.33 they promised me when I signed the contract.

For me there are other cheaper options.

Hope this helps, someone else avoid a surprise when they get an unexpected
credit card charge on the first day of their free years service

As always let the buyer beware.

Comments:
PX Eliezer7
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

I can't comment specifically on PhonePower, but in general I think it's good to avoid any long-term arrangements especially those with "2nd year free" or so forth.

It always seems to get confusing....

PhonePower
join:2007-07-20
Winnetka, CA

We have reviewed this account in detail

We have reviewed this account in detail and have spoken to the client and hope to have to come to agreeable terms.

The client originally ordered a 2 year contract with month to month billing. A few weeks later, the client contacted us via chat to change his service to the a prepaid plan. Unfortunately our billing representative failed to inform him of the 2nd year taxes, a fact which would have been amply disclosed had the client originally ordered that plan via our website. My understanding is that the client also opted out of receiving email communications from us by email and as such did not receive his renewal notification 30 days before his due date. Had this communication gone out as normal, I think this situation would have been avoided altogether since we would have had 30 days to review the account with the client prior to any funds being due and we would have waived the 2nd year taxes. Unfortunately, absent that notification and 30 day window, the client had signed up with a with a competitor before we could evaluate the issues.

We apologize for the chain of events creating the “perfect storm” and are reviewing our processes to better serve our clients. We appreciate being able to serve you.
kmclancy

join:2006-07-04
Owens Cross Roads, AL

Re: We have reviewed this account in detail

My only dispute with the PhonePower response above is, there was no attempt to resolve the issue only threats to turn the account over to collections, until after I posted the DSL Reports review. As a result of posting the this review, PhonePower has refunded the additional amount charged to my credit card they required before they would release my number to be ported to the new service provider. All attempts to resolve the issue prior to the DSL reports review were met with hostility, and threats of what they would do if I did not submit.

I hope Phonepower is correct, and if I had given it enough time things would have worked out. However, If I just paid the fees charged to avoid their threatened collections, I probably would not have written this review and gotten the resulting response.

PhonePower has a several features I like better than my current service provider, and would do well to improve their conflict resolution process with their on-line chat and telephone support, rather than requiring their subscribers to air the issues in an independent forum, responding only as a form of damage control.

Re: We have reviewed this account in detail

4.1 Taxes and Fees on Free Services. Any plan that comes with free service will be assessed applicable taxes, surcharges, and fees periodically, based on the details of the plan selected. These fees will be calculated based on the standard price for the service. Services are subject to suspension and termination if balances are not paid in a timely manner per Section 4 of PhonePower.com's Terms of Service.

The only thing misleading pal is that you are having buyers remorse and\or you need the "extra 58.00" to balance your books? Do your local car dealer a favor, show them this review. Will save you both alot of headaches!

waslookn2buy

@cox.net

Re: We have reviewed this account in detail

My support was leaning towards the company UNTIL the last response from topgun.. Addressing a former customer as "pal" and suggesting the customer has financial issues (all of your bargain hunting customers could fall into this category) makes me feel the customer's complaint regarding customer service is absolutely valid. Total disrespect. Sorry, PAL - you just lost this potential customer.

said by waslookn2buy :

Lets see you register as anonymous...and the only merit that turned you off was because I used the word pal..(rolls eyes). 2nd part I'm am by know means rich and use PP to save money like everyone else, however I don't go in a forum and slam a company without being reasonable. Lets be fair there are two sides to every story, which the OP did not divulge (coincidence)? As a business owner people that just do drive by slam reviews and don't paint the whole picture irk me!

So were you "reallylookn2buy" are just you just come in here to troll and stir the pot. I feel it is probably the later. JMHO
DSM Fan

join:2010-10-04
Covina, CA

Really, I am just as opinionated as the next web jerk. But blaming a company for something one of their customers said is just silly to be honest. Unless topgun is an employee and if so where is my android app

N9MD
Too busy to chat
join:2005-10-08
Boca Raton, FL
·Callcentric
·CIKTEL Telecom
said by waslookn2buy :

I just came across this comment ... and my jaw dropped. What in tarnation gave you the impression that topgun works for Phone Power?!?!  He doesn't ... nor do I.

I agree that the OP's situation could have been handled better ... which has been admitted by PhonePower (who is one of the top guns at PP (not topgun the BBR poster).  But the "conclusion jumping" on the part of a non-registered poster was certainly inappropriate.

said by N9MD:

I am the

»youtu.be/V8rZWw9HE7o
TopGun baby My mission shoot down intranet web jerk trolls, lol.