Callcentric page on DSLReports

Review by jduffy See Profile

• Location: Cincinnati,Hamilton,OH
Good "PAYG and BYOD, good voice quality, nice website, it just works all the time"
Bad "Slow to assign DID number when I first signed up."
Overall "I'm impressed so far"

I signed up earlier this week. I had the cheap Vonage $9.99 ($14 with taxes and fees) line as a back-up, but did not use it that much and also could not install it on a computer with a software without an additional charge.

I decided to cancel Vonage and give CallCentric a try. Really nice website. I have set it up with my old CrapRocket telephone adapter and also with an X-Lite Softphone on my Vista computer. Both register at the same time. I can call from the phone or the computer.

Voice quality has been very good. I really like their website. All information is right there and easy to find and access.

The pay as you go plan is what I am using and it is very reasonable. I also ordered a DID line for $2 but it is taking a long time to assign the number. They indicated 24 hours, but I am still waiting for what is now the fifth day. I did notify them via the ticket system and they did respond right away. They are checking on it. But other than that little issue, I am very impressed and would recommend them.

1/9/2010 - Still happy, still works great, fantastic support. I did receive my DID after I put in a ticket. These guys are really great. I'd say support was great, in the beginning in the rare instance when I had to use them to make sure my DID order went through, but other than that, I never have to use support....the service just works all the time. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

July 2012 - Still using CallCentric and still very happy with the service. I have also recently purchased the North American 500 plan and have a DID. While the DID is based in New York, I use the Google Voice number and have it forwarded to the free DID to give the appearance of a local DID. Work well. CallCentric continues to add features, the service is very reliable and support, though almost never needed, is very quick. This is a first class VOIP provider. I still highly recommend CallCentric.

December 2012 - Still using CallCentric. Since it is not my primary service, I was not really impacted too badly when they were hit with back-to-back disasters. First was a DOS attack, then the Sandy Hurricane. The DOS I can kind of understand that not being in their control, but Sandy unveiled that they do not have adequate back-up and redundancy. They apparently do within their own datacenter, but nothing truly outside of that single datacenter (though I think they have redundancy of their website now, but that does not help you make calls). So when I decided to move my two telephone accounts this month, I decided not to go with them. I cannot afford to be without my office connection. I did port the number to Google Voice and I could have that forwarded to CallCentric, and it would have worked fine because in a disaster I could change where the number was being directed, I also wanted the GV number to be displayed on outgoing calls. As far as I can tell, only Ooma can do that with their GV integration so I went that direction instead. But for call quality and breath of services, CallCentric is still very good. Hopefully no more disasters will come their way.

Comments:

crazyk4952
join:2002-02-04
united state

GV

I cannot afford to be without my office connection. I did port the number to Google Voice...

Hmm. I am not sure that I would have trusted my business line to an unpaid google product with limited support....

jduffy
·Cincinnati Bell
·Skype
·ooma

Re: GV

Valid opinion. But Google has a massive cloud infrastructure with redundancy. CallCentric does not. Google Voice will probably eventually charge for the Voice service, which is fine. Google will not just collapse overnight leaving me with a nightmare situation trying to port a number.

If CallCentric creates some geographic redundancy of their service, they could be a viable solution again in the future. But for now, all their eggs are in one basket with no generator on their datacenter, not too mention the single datacenter is a single point of failure, it is too risky for me right now.

A multi-billion dollar company with cloud redundancy, even if free, is a less risky option for me.
Atheists swear there is no Heaven, but pray there isn't a Hell.

crazyk4952
join:2002-02-04
united state
·Vitelity VOIP
·Charter

Re: GV

You seem to be making the argument that there is either Callcentric or Google Voice. Obviously, this is not the case.

With the way that Google has been cutting 'free' services lately (i.e. Google Apps for Business, Google Health, etc.), I just wouldn't trust any of their free services with anything that is critical.

jduffy
·Cincinnati Bell
·Skype
·ooma

Re: GV

Sorry to give that impression. I have no problem with Google eventually charging for Google Voice. It is a very good service. I have and use CallCentric as more of a back-up VOIP service and mainly on a computer, but also with a ObiTalk TA. Second, I now am using Ooma with my home number and for the home office number, that is ported to GV and then I use the Ooma GV integration. I have also then moved my iPhone Voicemail system to the GV voicemail system so where I once had two VM systems for work, I now have one.
Atheists swear there is no Heaven, but pray there isn't a Hell.

Gaston

@cox.net

Jerks!

I was a loyal customer through their DOS problem, where they were out of service for a couple of weeks or so. I stuck with them through the Hurricane Sandy problem for a week or so, I gave them the benefit of the doubt. However, what happened yesterday caused me to immediately cancel my service and go with another service. These guys have no idea what good customer service is about. In their mind, the customer is the problem, not their service. My advice, AVOID THIS COMPANY! They are total jerks and will be broke in a year. Good riddance CallCentric!