Pacific Bell - SBC page on DSLReports

Review by Tex Longhorn See Profile

• Location: Coronado,San Diego,CA
  • Telco party SBC
Good "They delivered what they promised"
Bad "dishonest support person, good luck if you have any problems"
Overall "I'm very happy"

·Verizon Online DSL
May 2002. Almost one and a half years with Pacbell and things have been mostly good. Have an occasional outage but usually back up within a reasonable time. Would go with them again.

I was very nervous about going with PacBell because of the reviews I had read here. My other option was Telocity and they said it would take 4 weeks to get me up and running. Too long for me. I placed my order with PacBell on 12/14/00 and was told it would take 14 days. The next day I realized I had not been asked what type of connection I had (USB or Ethernet) and whether I wanted self install or a technician to come out. They guessed right on both. I did the self install with Ethernet. Communication on their side was excellent. I received a call that they would be testing my line and I may be without service for 5-10 minutes. This was on day twelve. On the same day, I called to check the status of my order because I had not received my equipment. I had been told it would take 5-10 days. She put me on hold while she called shipping. Fifteen minutes later she said it would be going out that day. I inquired about the delay. She blamed it on the holidays. I didn't believe her for a second. On day thirteen I received another call saying my order was complete. All I needed was my hardware, It arrived on day 14. I have a Mac with a built in ethernet so I didn't have to install the supplied card. Modem installation was just like a dial up modem. It couldn't have been easier. The only problem I encountered was registering my account. The software comes from SBC Internet Services. Apparently they provide software for Southwestern Bell, Pacific Bell, and Nevada Bell. My instructions told me to register at the SWBell website. It didn't work. I had to call and get the correct address which took about 5 minutes of being on hold. Overall, I am very pleased. The problems I encountered were minor. They had me up as promised and I have been up pretty much ever since. I go down occasionally, but it is for a very short time. Speeds have been good. I tested at 1105/105. I love my DSL!

I've been with PacBell for about three weeks. Everything was great until I wasn't able to connect. When I tried to connect, I would get "PPPoE server not responding." Didn't know where to call for help so I started with 800-Net-Help(SBC). He ran some tests and told me I had a line problem. Gave me a case number and a new number to call, 888-900-9933. Here they started a trouble ticket and assigned a technician to fix the problem. About three hours later the technician called and said he was just about finished with the line but there was a problem. He said he talked to PBI and my DSL had been cancelled. This was news to me. He told me to call the emerging products center at 888-884-2375. He also gave me his direct line and told me to call him with an update. I spoke to them and they said that my dsl was not cancelled. They had me call/transfer to 800-708-4638. It was here that I reached Chris. He explained that my dsl is broken down into several parts. For some reason, the provisioning on my dsl had been cancelled. He created another case id and transferred me to provisioning at 800-833-2120. The first person I spoke to was a trouble shooter. He said I would need to speak to billing about the problem. Off to billing I went. I spoke to Erica. She said all of provisioning had left for the day. She emailed my problem to them and recommended I call back in the morning. She was not able to tell me why I was disconnected nor who instructed them to do so. This was her guess. "I guess they figured you wanted to cancel since you weren't connecting." It was about 7:00 when I got off the phone. I had spent about two hours on the problem so far.

I called provisioning first thing next morning. I got a hold of a tech person who would not transfer me to provisioning. He wanted to send me to EPC again. I was getting caught in a never ending loop. I finally had him send me to billing. I got Erica again. She spoke to provisioning and said I would be up by noon. I called the technician from the previous night and told him my provisioning would be connected by noon and he could resume his testing. Noon came and no dsl. I called billing again and got Erica a third time. She spoke to her "friend" in provisioning and said it would be 45 minutes to one hour. I checked back a little over one hour later and no dsl. I called billing again and got Tarik this time. He spoke to provisioning and said it would take 30 minutes. Thirty minutes later, I finally had my dsl. Saturday the original technician called to tell me he did not come in on Friday and wanted to know if the problem had been corrected. Yes it had.

member for 14 years, 5768 visits, last login: a few hours ago