Pacific Bell - SBC page on DSLReports

Review by acz See Profile

• Location: Sacramento,Sacramento,CA
  • Telco party SBC
Good "reliable over many years now."
Bad "I had to replace the original modem, and the splitters more than once"
Overall "OK service for my needs, not the fastest"

September 2012

Wow, I had completely forgotten that I reviewed this ISP 6 years ago, and I have had this static DSL line in East Sacramento for 13 years!

Anyway, it works and is reliable. I have never been able to get better than 2.4 megabits download and 400 kilobits upload.

From mid-2011 to mid-2012 I was paying $14.95 or even $11.95 per month after discounts. Now, in September of 2012, they will give me a $15 discount for the next 12 months off a list price of $38 = $23/month, with an early termination fee of $180.

Perhaps it is finally time to try U-verse or perhaps a different vendor.

==================================
OK, I will post an update as of August 2006.

Apparently I was a pretty early DSL customer in East Sacramento, signing up in August 1999.

Anyway, over the years the service has been good enough for me to stay with them. My line is nominally set to 1500 kbps down 384 kbps up, and when I measure using any speed test I usually get between 800 and 1200 kpbs down. My main problem has been reliability. Sometimes the connection is flawless for months, and then it works only intermittently for days at a time, losing synchronization and getting locked up at the Startup Handshake between the modem and the Central Office.

Tech support from India has been awful, but the people at ASI in Pleasanton or St. Louis have been very helpful.

I am on my third modem, currently a Zoom ADSL X5 which at least gives me some statistics from its side of the line. We have replaced the copper wire from the house to the telephone pole - the first time it had clearly been chewed on by the squirrels, the second time it looked OK but no one could figure out anything else to try.

So now in the summer of 2006, when it was time to renew my contract, I was out of town. A month went by, and the put me up to $49.99 per month. When I called to fix it, the best they would give me is $19.99 per month at the same speed, even though the sales rep admitted that last month they would have given me twice the speed for a year at $17.99. I heard that others received new 2wire modems, or the $17.99 rate, so I am slightly annoyed that the renewal is not more honest, straightforward, and direct.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
All the information below this line is from sometime in 2000.

Installation went very well.

I ordered basic residential DSL for $59/month (with ISP),
and the equipment/installation cost $200.

They gave me an Alcatel 1000 ADSL modem, and a network PCMCIA card.

I have a static IP, and I guess it must be because I was one of the very first DSL users in zip code 95819.

I don't know anything about PPPoE, so I hope it never comes to my house. I got a Linksys Etherfast Cable/DSL router to share the line among 2 computers here, but that equipment was backordered for a long time, worked great once it arrived.

Speed is often greater than the guaranteed 384k.

What used to drive me nuts was when the red light on the modem starts blinking. Speed drops to zero, and there is no way to diagnose where the problem might be:
PBI, CO, my line, my splitter, my modem, my computer, or what.
Tech support just says to unplug the power supply to the modem, and then leave it unplugged for 5 minutes, and try again. Unfortunately that little rain dance does not always work.
Too often, I have to resort to dialup modem at 26,000 bps!!

Eventually, a service person came over and replaced the splitter on the side of the building. Since then, I don't lose sync, don't see the little red light.
MUCH BETTER!

About a year later, I started having sync problems again. Two techs came to the house and replaced the modem with Alcatel Speed Home. That has worked fine now for at least a year.

Latest development (august 2003) was that I called the DSL billing people and requested the $29.99 rate I see advertised everywhere. They said OK but I had to agree to new 1 year committment with a $200 early termination fee. Since I don't plan to move for at least a year, that was an easy decision.

Since August, I had some problems with static on the voice portion of my DSL line, but since I pay for WirePro an excellent tech came out and replaced the wire from my splitter to the pole, and the static went away.

I wonder what the pricing will be when my contract is up in 2004. There is a new competitor in this area called Surewest, they are running fiber to all the houses in the neighborhood, and offering 10 mbps up & down.

Comments: