Pacific Bell - SBC page on DSLReports

Review by leibold See Profile

• Location: Sunnyvale,Santa Clara,CA
Good "Fast reliable service at low rates"
Bad "Yahoo ?"

·SONIC.NET
I got Pacbell DSL as soon as it became available in my area (mid 1999). I signed up for their 'basic' plan which was 384-1536kbps down and 128kbps up. Actual speed tests showed around 1200/108 until last years improvements which boosted the speed to around 1300/217. By signing up for another 1 year commitment I was able to reduce my monthly cost to $29.95. Not bad for a line that has given me reliable service for more then 4 years now. It's too bad this type of service (single static IP, no PPPoE) is no longer offered for new customers. I would highly recommend it to anybody interested in running his own servers (web, email).

Update 2005: I received an email from SBC that my upload speed had been increased to 384Kbps, but nothing changed. After reading in the PacBell forum that for some users the automatic speed upgrade failed, I posted in the SBC Direct forum. Due to the new years holiday weekend it took a few days, but my DSL speed has indeed improved. This DSL line has always been good and just keeps getting better

On the downside, I just noticed that my term commitment has ended and I'm back on the month-to-month rate of $50 for this service. Time to give SBC a call and to renew for another year.

Update 2010: after more than 10 years of almost perfect service I switched to cheaper and faster Fusion from sonic.net. Looking back over those 10 years in which the provider changed from PacBell to SBC to the new ATT there was very little to be unhappy about. At some point SBC became unwilling to match advertised prices for Express service for the service I was getting (legacy single static DSL) which meant I paid double the amount of other customers in the same speed tier. The only major problem was diagnosed and repaired in a reasonable time frame (drop cable had gone bad).

member for 12 years, 5743 visits, last login: a few hours ago