Pacific Bell - SBC page on DSLReports

Review by Bobsacto See Profile

• Location: Rancho Cordova,Sacramento,CA
  • Telco party Southwestern Bell
Good "Great field service level 2 techs"
Bad "Call Level 1 tech and you take your chance"
Overall "Good Value"

When DSL became the first and only broadband solution in my area I attempt to get service but was told after about a year of visits and phone calls Pacbell could not provide me a connection.

By then Comcast was providing service in my area so I went with them. The company was sold to AT&T cable with @Home service. @Home went under my speed was capped at 1.5 and AT&T sold the company back to Comcast. Still no problems. I fact my only issue was the 56.99 I was paying at the end for 3mb service.

Kept getting the pitch for DSL so thought I give it another shot. With the addition of a RT in my area I thought my chances for service would be increased. Seven days after my first call to sign up for the DSL pro service I was supposed to be ready to go. After one call to Level 2 support, where the tech expressed thanks that I had not installed their software, I was connected at 1.1mb.

Waited the requested 10 days but was still at 1.1. Left a message on the SBC direct board here did what they suggested but still a 1.1 even when connected at the NID. Made the call at 4 and the next day both an ASI tech and a SBC tech showed up exactly when scheduled. One installed a POTS splitter and hooked up a direct line to my modem (no charge) the other went searching along my phone line back to the RT and made some wiring changes along the way. Immediately my speed went up to what I was paying for around 2.8-2.9. They said my line was still not the quality they would like and the another tech would be by. The neighbors began to wonder why different strange men were stopping by the house every day while I was at work and my wife was home alone. During this time my speed never dropped and I never lost my connection. Some of the techs said with their readings I shouldn't be able to get synch. Finally one tech said that the company might drop my cap if they had to keep paying me visits. I said I didn't call with complaints my speed was what I wanted and they really didn't to pay daily visits to the house even though I know my wife is attractive. Got a call from ASI that night and I asked him to please close my ticket. Still getting the same speed and never a dropped connection saving $20 a month.

Update 6-26-05

Had service over six months. Never have lost it, never have experienced a speed slow-down. The same can not be said for my experience with Comcast.

Update 8-01-05

Lost voice and DSL service fixed quickly given phone number of local ASI manager if any issues received follow-up call making sure everything was okay and assuring credit for the time we did not have service. Also received letter of apology for our inconvience.

Comments: