VOIPO page on DSLReports

Review by CuriousGuy See Profile

• Location: Rego Park,Queens,NY
Good "Support is great, service reliable, sounds fine"
Bad "In my experience, I have nothing to criticize"
Overall "I have no hesitation in recommending VOIPo highly!"

I gave a lot of consideration to VOIP before actually signing up. I studied the reviews and I was really impressed with the kind of user feedback VOIPo was getting. I wasn't even aware of the company until a few months ago. When I contacted them, I found them easy to deal with and, in no time, they were porting my number. The reason it took 17 days from order to success was just an unfortunate incident involving the Post Office. The USPS acknowledged notification from VOIPo of a package to be shipped to me. It was my PAP2T adapter and, for unknown reasons, it never arrived. Consequently, days were lost while I waited for the adapter to arrive. When I contacted VOIPo, they sent me another adapter overnight via Express Mail. I contributed to the delay myself, by purchasing a Linksys router at Radio Shack that was not the latest and, apparently had outdated firmware. VOIPo even sent me another adapter overnight!! However, I replaced the router with a current model, WRT54G2, and than all was well.

Everyone I dealt with was friendly and motivated to get the service working. Since them, everything has been more than fine and I feel I made an intelligent choice!

8/13/09: After a few bumps in early July, everything has returned to VOIPo's usual high standard of reliability!

Comments:

CuriousGuy

Harassment by spoofed caller ID

For the longest time, someone has been ringing my phone using various false names and numbers in caller ID. I feel there is a need to unmask the spoofer and block calls where spoofing is used. According to my information, this type of calling is in violation of federal law and subject to $10,000 fines. The caller never speaks, just rings until my voice mail kicks in and then hangs up. The one time I spoke to a VOIPo tech support representative, I was given two unacceptable choices: changing my telephone number or blocking anybody I didn't specify on my legitimate caller list. I'm hoping that this very annoying circumstance can be rectified.

More about spoofing

How would Kevin Mitnick use asterisk.org and flowroute.com to unmask caller ID? Geeks unite and help me! I know you guys are out there.

·VOIPO

VOIPo is wreaking havoc on my ability to have trouble free phone service

HELP! After loving VOIPo since 2009, I've hit a wall and nobody seems able to
resolve it. I've been told my poor voice quality and echoes are due to latency and packet loss. I called my ISP on the advice of James and they claim their connection is fine and send me back to VOIPo. I replaced my old Linksys router and run ping tests. I am so fed up with people telling me I'm breaking up because I can't hearvocal quality issues on my end. Although I'm signed up through early 2015, I'm afraid I'll have to leave and go with Time Warner my ISP. I am severely disappointed and regret ever going with VOIP. Sure, it's remarkably inexpensive, it's not money well spent. As the famous saying goes, if something seems to be too good to be true, it probably is. Furthermore VOIPo tech support, which used to be available without long waits, now requires listening to music for far too long. And when you do get someone, you end up being a ping pong ball between your ISP and your voip. To you Tim I say, please return your company to the one I was so enthusiastic about. I hope I am taken seriously.

said by CuriousGuy:

HELP! After loving VOIPo since 2009, I've hit a wall and nobody seems able to

Sure - E-mail me ticket numbers and info on this (can link to this thread vs retyping details) and I'll have a Supervisor look into it Monday for you.

Sorry for the trouble.

Re: VOIPo is wreaking havoc on my ability to have trouble free phone service

Tim, I was wasn't given a ticket number, which would indicate an open case. I guess the techs I spoke to considered the problem related to my ISP's latency and I was directed to contact Time Warner and inform them that I was experiencing latency. Time Warner ran some line checks and said everything on their end was fine.
I did receive an E-mail on Nov. 13 (#VLH861385) with a link to network check utility:
»www.voipo.com/download/network_check.exe

I was instructed to execute the link during a conversation in which there was poor quality. Since the problems were intermittent, it proved difficult to synchronize poor vocal quality and execution of the utility simultaneously. (see below)

When prompted to run the test, press 2 to run the thorough check and then press enter. The test will create a document titled "voipo-trace.txt" on your desktop. When completed, send the end results to support@voipo.com attached to this email.

Re: VOIPo is wreaking havoc on my ability to have trouble free phone service

Ok, e-mail me your account info to tim @ voipo.com and I'll have a supervisor take a look Monday.

Re: VOIPo is wreaking havoc on my ability to have trouble free phone service

As of Tuesday, Nov. 19, I am getting my telephone service from Time Warner. I felt that I had no choice and the PAP 2T adapter is on its way to California.

said by CuriousGuy:

I'm sorry to hear that.

It sounds like something changed somewhere and the connection to us just wasn't good anymore. Unfortunately since we reply on the internet sometimes that happens. Lots of variables in the mix.

Thank you for your business over the years and we hope your new service is working well for you.

Timothy Dick
Founder/CEO

Xracer

@mymailexpress.com
This has nothing to do with VOIPo (they are great) but with Time Warner Cable - I am a Tech for an Online School and one of our Instructors who lectures to students via the Online School Classroom system is with Time Warner Cable and when they teach their class from the place with TWC they now have dead space for 5 - 20 seconds where they are suppose to be speaking. We've called TWC they say it’s nothing on their end but our end. We told TWC we have 20 - 30 Instructors teaching at the same time and the instructor on TWC is the only one having trouble, plus when we use the some computer in a different location they have no trouble (tried 3 computers on his TWC and got the same result). So I believe Time Warner Cable has done something to their internet line since it impacts those using "real time" connections (viewing a movie that buffers to the computer works fine).

·VOIPO

I found something that may provide resolution for other users

I'm not sure about this, but it's interesting: Network Optimizer for Gaming and VoIP (OGV200)