VOIPO page on DSLReports

Review by hamburglar_ See Profile

• Location: Powell,Delaware,OH
Good "Cheap, loads of features."
Bad "Dropped calls and no dialtone at times"
Overall "Beats cable phone in price and features."

·ObiVoice
Update 12-28-10

We have been on the Central server for a few weeks and the service has been solid. I'm starting to think the East server does not work well with my ISP. I have updated my ratings accordingly. I will update in a few more weeks.

Update 11-30-10

Service works for a couple weeks, then dropped calls, no dialtone 3 times in a week(required ATA reboot). Support updates my "provisioning" and it works for a short time, then problems crop up again. The SAF is about zero right now, so I'm being forced to a more expensive alternative. VOIPo, I love the features, flexibility and price, but even with a cell phone as a backup, it's not worth the aggravation anymore.

Update 5-5-10

Well, after about 2 months of intermittent problems since getting a replacement ATA (Grandstream HT-502), I am looking at alternatives. While the service is about 90% reliable, we continue to have problems with incoming calls at least 2 or 3 times a week. We get a fast busy after answering, or no ring at all. Support has tried to pinpoint, but even with the ATA connected directly to the cable modem, we see occasional issues.

Update 12/24/09

Things have smoothed out great. I have bumped the Reliability and Call Quality to 5. The website is still a 4 since there is no real help, other than a FAQ. It turns out my incoming call issues were caused by a switch between the modem and ATA. If the reliability continues, I'll be signing up for the yearly plan to save even more.

Signed up on 10/12 before moving into a new area code. We wanted to keep our existing 10-year old number and VOIP was the only option. Tried Vonage in the past with mixed results, and have used cable phone service since 2005. Our first couple weeks were bumpy... dropped calls, voice breakups, but support moved me to their other server and it was solid. Number port took almost 2 months, but I was glad to get the number back even after I had canceled my previous service back in November.

member for 12.6 years, 4478 visits, last login: a few minutes ago