VOIPO page on DSLReports

Review by jacobslive See Profile

• Location: San Jose,Santa Clara,CA
Good "Call quality, Communication, customer service"
Bad "Nothing serious, but website could be more user friendly with more knowledge base"
Overall "Best choice for the price"

UPDATE 03/14/2013
It is been over two months with VOIPo and the service is working as good as from day one. Now that I made VOIPo as my primary line with two other numbers being forwarded to it. No complaints whatsoever and everything working fine as it should be. Enjoying the simple and effective features.

UPDATE 01/26/2013
Since I had the best customer service experience with VOIPo Team this time I decided to activate another number with them. They were extremely helpful to pull out an inactive number that belonged to me once from their carrier database.

I now have three VOIP services at home/home office and I can compare them side to side. Features/quality/cost wise VOIPo is number one at this time. Second goes to PP.

UPDATE 01/12/2013:
My bad luck, I encountered a extreme difficulty to use the service on my second attempt as a result of carrier issues (I believe). Support was quite helpful, and TIm, CEO of VOIPo was extremely helpful. However, certain issues could not be resolved and I believe it was an isolated issue with my phone number. Therefore, I have decided to take my number to another provider.

With the level of help and support received from VOIPo team, I will definitely recommend VOIPo and hope things will work out for you.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Original Review: January 2012

Alright, to begin with I should clarify the monthly fee of $16+ I came up with. This was figured out after comparing exactly what I am paying for the similar features to another provider.

Break up:
Two year pre-pay including tax and fees for 24 months: $165.00 = $6.87/mo
International package for 12 months: $75 = $6.25/mo
Virtual fax number for 12 months: $36 = $3/mo

Total: 16.12/mo

I am paying $19 for all those service with PhonePower with another number ported out from MJ. All services/quality is pretty much identical except VOIPO does not provide outbound caller ID, huh?

I as porting a number from magicjack to VOIPO just for the reason that MJ does not have outbound Caller ID and their service fee was little less than PhonePower.
After activating the service with VOIPO I found it is the same case with them.

I found this problem first day itself and cancelled the service and magicjack took care the rest and saved my number.

May be its me, I should have done bit more digging before I signed up with VOIPO rather than trying to save couple of bucks a month.

Now towards the good part:
- Very good customer service, tickets are responded very quickly.
- Service activated instantly with a temporary number until porting is under process
- option to send fax via online (still under beta and do not know how much they will charge once out of beta)
-quick shipping

Bottom line: I could not find anything better than my other VOIP provider and could not fulfill my requirement. Your personal experience may be different. For me its big NO without outbound Caller ID as it is very important for me.

Comments:

treichhart

join:2006-12-12

outgoing does cost.

as a reseller of voipo you have to understand it cost 1-2 dollars per outgoing caller id name.

treichhart

join:2006-12-12

Re: outgoing does cost.

Well I have vonage and my caller id doesnt work either so I dont know what your complaining about. My number was from ATT cell phone. It does cost to send out that callerid name out and tim CEO of voipo said it would cost 2 much for them to do that but if you want that that means you would have to pay more then what your paying for now from voipo. Are you paying 8 dollars a month if you want that caller id outgoing you be paying 10 dollars month instead of 8 dollars of month.
nitzan
join:2008-02-27

said by treichhart:

Either you misunderstood him, or he's referring to something else. Setting outgoing CID Name with a carrier only costs a buck or so ONE TIME - not monthly. The problem is that most carriers who supply phone numbers to VOIP providers do not support outgoing CID or are so bad at supporting it, it's almost unusable.

Eventually more of them will support it though - it's just a matter of time.

Outgoing CID Settings

I found this when I had to go in and turn down the outgoing volume. The Grandstream they sent me is so dynamically different than the PAP2T. Most of my issues are gone now. I always knew it was the crappy Linksys gear.

So there is a place to tell it how to handle OGCID. No misunderstanding here.

Re: outgoing does cost.

This will send your Number as caller ID not your name. When I called from VOIPO "California" and my number was displayed at the receivers end, not my "Name" and number.

If your called party can see your name along with your number, then thats a different case. In that case VOIPO gave me wrong information. When I contacted VOIPO they confirmed that they do not transmit caller name, which I found is true in my case.

Re: outgoing does cost.

Got the same confirmation yesterday off a direct trouble ticket that was explained much more than normal. And was told also that they depend on the end provider to supply the rest, name/etc, if they will/can/or do.

said by FarmerBob:

Good for you if it works!

I was told that VOIPO will not transmit name but depends on receivers service provider it will show State/Area/Anonymous/Number etc. but not NAME.

Here is the service ticket they responded:

"Hello,

Outgoing callerID is not supported.
Only the number is sent.

Some carriers may try to show the area the number is registered to.
In such cases, your number will likely show the city or state that the number is from.

said by jacobslive:

Good for you if it works!

Here is the service ticket they responded:

"Hello,

Outgoing callerID is not supported.
Only the number is sent.

Some carriers may try to show the area the number is registered to.

VOIPo Support"

But it doesn't work. This was the last reply I got:

"Your outbound CallerID settings are available under Beta > Misc.
You will be presented with a drop-down including all the numbers on your account.
You may select whichever number will be sent.

There is an option to mask the CallerID and simply present 'Private', or you may nominate to send nothing at all, which will show 'Unknown'.
These two options are available under the Features tab.

As was previously stated, we only send the number on outbound IDs.
Many carriers will show any name information if they have it on file (many do not).
Most carriers will show where the number is registered to, usually just City or State information.

·ViaTalk
I have seen a lot of these issues with the Telco's themselves for many years. So this is not an isolated issue. I just think that here it is a more sterile aspect and we have noticed sooner and more dynamically. AND with increased abuse and no support, the "Do not call list" is a joke, people that are being called are being more proactive. And there lies the rub.

The interaction of Telco's, Celco's have always been haphazard at best. And now add the VoIP's, where many of the Telco's who control this feature, for the most part, don't like sharing their ball as was the initial problem between Telco's and Celco's. And here we have the problem. Here, if at all, the fee comes into play for two reasons: an excuse why not to provide the service completely; or in this day and age of "money saving", a reason not to spend. Either way, we lose.

What ever happened to the good ol' days of industry inter-cooperation. Oh wait!! There never was any!!! Unless the Telco owned it.

problems with underlying carrier

Just don't say that on Voipo forum - or you would be slaughtered! A few sycophants form a tag team and don't accept any Voipo reason for a problem. It must be router, ISP, your stupidity - or Force majeure incompatibility!

Like any sycophants, they don't do Voipo any favor.
Technical problems are more often than not management incompetence masquerading as technical issues

said by ymhee_bcex:

This is a common practice with all service providers. It is always your fault, they are always perfect! lol

With VOIPo, at least I am getting a phone call/adequate response from customer service.

I totally understand your point though. I have seen certain responses on their forum which explains your opinion.

With my another service provider PhonePower, they do not even respond to emails unless until you start picking them up on their public forum or here at DSLR. Once they started up acquiring other VoIP providers such as voip.com, broadvoice they think customers has no more options but to listen to or take their BS. Interestingly they brought down the new signup price to 4.99 a month now desperate for new customers it seems.

Re: problems with underlying carrier

PhonePower forum has one sycophant - but he is more outlandish than the whole Voipo fan club combined.

I never tried to email PhonePower, but phone calls get answered quickly and professionally. My PhonePower account is used in doctor's office; so if they have problems - those need to be resolved right away. I also like that when receptionist called support, they were able to resolve an issue without my involvement. That said, I think their pricing is very deceptive - actual cost is about twice what is shown in big letters of the front page. Where do you see $4.99?

said by ymhee_bcex:

Where do you see $4.99?

ha ha I guess I know who is that sycophant lol

to get 4.99 price you need to go to whichvoip.com and click on the link provided for phonepower.

Their initial signup price is not deceptive but very fair I believe. If you talking about added tax and service fee, eveybody does that, even voipo. Once the initial contract is over then their price is far beyond fair.

As far as service concerned I never had to call them once the ATA is connected and running. Problems are with their website, their add on services such as soft phone, iPhone App, caller ID etc.

ha ha I guess I know who is that sycophant lol

Heh, I saw he picked up a fight with you as well

said by jacobslive:

Thank you, I didn't know about this site!

said by jacobslive:

Their initial signup price is not deceptive but very fair I believe. If you talking about added tax and service fee, everybody does that, even voipo. Once the initial contract is over then their price is far beyond fair.

Even voipo! What, voipo is now a gold standard for transparency? Well, unlike PhonePower, Voipo doesn't bill you $50 for the second year. What you pay upfront is indeed total cost for 2 years.

$8.33 per month that is in big digits on PP's front page actually turns into $13 after fees (60% on top what's advertised). On the other hand, $14.99/mo that is quoted on VoicePulse's front page turns into $15.89 after 6% sales tax. Funny, that PhonePower is still a better deal than VoicePulse (especially with two lines, softphone and SIP credentials) - but it certainly looks very deceptive!

And my understanding is that $75/year that Future Nine is showing on their front page actually means $75... I am itching for an excuse to sign up with them

Re: problems with underlying carrier

Ha, yeah we pick on each other some times, still we are good buddies.

You are welcome!

Yeah I forgot about the second year charge PP has as tax/service fee. Anyways, I don't think I will ever go back to them even if they bring the price down to 1.99/month. There is no customer service, broken applications, broken Caller ID database. I don't feel any itch whatsoever now Matter of fact, I pulled out my second PP adapter and routed the call to VOIPo number and opened a brand new account with VOIPo instead of that I knew PP has 5/mo plan available. Screw them for now!

wulf

@mccc.edu

Terrible service

Took forever to port and then they denied my free month of service.

Stay away!!!!!!!