VOIPO page on DSLReports

Review by jacobslive See Profile

• Location: San Jose,Santa Clara,CA
Good "Call quality, Communication, customer service"
Bad "Nothing serious, but website could be more user friendly with more knowledge base"
Overall "Best choice for the price"

UPDATE 03/14/2013
It is been over two months with VOIPo and the service is working as good as from day one. Now that I made VOIPo as my primary line with two other numbers being forwarded to it. No complaints whatsoever and everything working fine as it should be. Enjoying the simple and effective features.

UPDATE 01/26/2013
Since I had the best customer service experience with VOIPo Team this time I decided to activate another number with them. They were extremely helpful to pull out an inactive number that belonged to me once from their carrier database.

I now have three VOIP services at home/home office and I can compare them side to side. Features/quality/cost wise VOIPo is number one at this time. Second goes to PP.

UPDATE 01/12/2013:
My bad luck, I encountered a extreme difficulty to use the service on my second attempt as a result of carrier issues (I believe). Support was quite helpful, and TIm, CEO of VOIPo was extremely helpful. However, certain issues could not be resolved and I believe it was an isolated issue with my phone number. Therefore, I have decided to take my number to another provider.

With the level of help and support received from VOIPo team, I will definitely recommend VOIPo and hope things will work out for you.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Original Review: January 2012

Alright, to begin with I should clarify the monthly fee of $16+ I came up with. This was figured out after comparing exactly what I am paying for the similar features to another provider.

Break up:
Two year pre-pay including tax and fees for 24 months: $165.00 = $6.87/mo
International package for 12 months: $75 = $6.25/mo
Virtual fax number for 12 months: $36 = $3/mo

Total: 16.12/mo

I am paying $19 for all those service with PhonePower with another number ported out from MJ. All services/quality is pretty much identical except VOIPO does not provide outbound caller ID, huh?

I as porting a number from magicjack to VOIPO just for the reason that MJ does not have outbound Caller ID and their service fee was little less than PhonePower.
After activating the service with VOIPO I found it is the same case with them.

I found this problem first day itself and cancelled the service and magicjack took care the rest and saved my number.

May be its me, I should have done bit more digging before I signed up with VOIPO rather than trying to save couple of bucks a month.

Now towards the good part:
- Very good customer service, tickets are responded very quickly.
- Service activated instantly with a temporary number until porting is under process
- option to send fax via online (still under beta and do not know how much they will charge once out of beta)
-quick shipping

Bottom line: I could not find anything better than my other VOIP provider and could not fulfill my requirement. Your personal experience may be different. For me its big NO without outbound Caller ID as it is very important for me.

Comments:

treichhart

join:2006-12-12

outgoing does cost.

as a reseller of voipo you have to understand it cost 1-2 dollars per outgoing caller id name.

said by treichhart:

I don't know what you exactly mean. If you mean $1-2 per call, then no phone companies would survive. If you mean average monthly cost, who cares? charge it from the customer or at least make it optional as those who need it will pay for it and use it.

If you mean you are a re-seller for voipo, good luck!

I hear ya!!

I had to cancel and go back to optimum. Optimum started acting up with there billing and I left them for the FIOS triple play. I need to write a review for them. Customer service SUCKS though.

said by NYC Girl:

Before I moved from NJ I had FIOS and it is really nice service. Once installed and running, there should not be any problem. I never called Verizon in nearly 3 years of FIOS for connectivity issues other than couple of times their gateway failed (hardware issue).

I really miss verizon FIOS here in Cali.

Though I never used their VOIP service, I cannot comment about the quality. I had only TV and Internet.

I will recommend PhonePower for VOIP service. They are not dirt cheap as magickjack or voipo, but cheaper than the triple play package offered by ISPs, vonage, etc.

said by NYC Girl:

I really miss verizon FIOS here in Cali.

The Indy phone cos don't seem to work for me. I guess you get what you pay for. Too much trouble having to switch back and too much trouble dealing with customer service. If its not one thing it is another.

FIOS good so far. They always want to gauge you with billing. Always errors in their favor of course. Still working out the kinks.

Re: I hear ya!!

Yeah, you are almost right, you get what you pay for. But with those bundles you don't get what you pay for. That's the only difference.

said by jacobslive:

But for me I had so many issues with Voipo that I don't have with optimum voice or FIOS digital voice!!! Not worth all the tinkering and time and $$$ lost with poor service.

I hear ya!

I had voipo for less than a hour, I put back the ATA and send back to them.

As far as phonepower goes, I was with them for 2 years and after a break back to them. Once the service established I never had issues.

I guess the bottom line is that you should be satisfied regardless who is your service provider is

I hear ya!

I had voipo for less than a hour, I put back the ATA and send back to them.

Yes, because its always going to be SOMETHING! Too funny!!! What happened?? I had my service for approximately a month!!

treichhart

join:2006-12-12
Well I have vonage and my caller id doesnt work either so I dont know what your complaining about. My number was from ATT cell phone. It does cost to send out that callerid name out and tim CEO of voipo said it would cost 2 much for them to do that but if you want that that means you would have to pay more then what your paying for now from voipo. Are you paying 8 dollars a month if you want that caller id outgoing you be paying 10 dollars month instead of 8 dollars of month.

said by treichhart:

Well, if you have a vonage and your outgoing caller id does not work you are past due to call vonage. I have friends and family using vonage and whenever they call me their name is displayed along with their number on my phone. I have not stored any number in my phone's directory so don't think that the name is being picked up from my phone directory. (I am talking about cordless phone with landline, not cell phone).

Yes, I understand what you saying about paying couple of bucks a month extra for that feature and I would not mid it, but they said they DO NOT support that feature, so I had no choice but to say goodbye to them.

I have a home based business and I do not want people to ignore me when they see unknown/anonymous caller on their caller id. I have seen many people do not answer calls when they do not know who is calling. Personally I wont pickup a call that says anonymous or unknown even if it display just phone number unless I remember that number and the person it belongs to.

Directly from the VOIPo.com "All VOIPo Features At A Glance" page:

and

*67 Outbound Caller ID Blocking
Don't wish to disclose your information on a particular call? Not a problem. Simply dialing *67 before calling automatically blocks your outgoing Caller ID.

The second one is kinda vague, but they do say "Caller ID", "your information" and "outgoing Caller ID", not "Calling Number" which leads one to believe that they'll get what we all know as Caller ID. Until this thread it never really dawned on me that, as many times as I thought I might need the blocking feature, my Outgoing Caller ID was not real Caller ID . . .

said by FarmerBob:

Directly from the VOIPo.com "All VOIPo Features At A Glance" page:

and

*67 Outbound Caller ID Blocking

I think you are misunderstood the fact. You saw the feature at voipo.com is for incoming caller ID. I was concerned about the outbound caller ID.

This is what voipo customer care replied to my support ticket.

Some carriers may try to show the area the number is registered to.
In such cases, your number will likely show the city or state that the number is from.
"

Re: outgoing does cost.

I fully understand way more than you know. I grew up in corporate advertising and rebranding. Did a rebranding of a divestiing baby bell in the late 80's.

All accounts include fully functional Caller ID with both name and number.

There is really nothing being said about which direction. The ambiguity of this tells me standard outgoing POTS style CID. If this is not true, the copy on the website needs to be changed to accurately represent what is actually meant.

Can't wait to see the long awaited "Users Manual". It'll probably read like stereo instructions in some obscure Bisayan dialect.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT

Re: outgoing does cost.

It really does seem that they provide Caller ID, inbound and outbound, with the way it is worded. My understanding was that if you ported in a number that already had caller ID it would show up on outbound calls.
delius

join:2006-07-30
Dorchester, ON

Re: outgoing does cost.

who pays those prices nowadays
try // voip.ms
said by ptrowski:

They do provide caller ID, but no caller ID name. For example if a person called "Bob Builder" call you from 123-456-7890 your caller ID will show

BUILDER BOB
123-456-7890

But with Magicjack and Voipo, it will show in few other ways, such as:

UNKNOWN CALLER

ANONYMOUS

in in very rare case STATE NAME or AREA NAME
etc.

It depends on the service provider for the receiving party. But no name is transmitted by voipo.
Expand your moderator at work
nitzan
join:2008-02-27

said by treichhart:

Either you misunderstood him, or he's referring to something else. Setting outgoing CID Name with a carrier only costs a buck or so ONE TIME - not monthly. The problem is that most carriers who supply phone numbers to VOIP providers do not support outgoing CID or are so bad at supporting it, it's almost unusable.

Eventually more of them will support it though - it's just a matter of time.

·ViaTalk
I have a trouble ticket and several conversations so far on VM eMail labeling and up until 9-1-10 (since 10/3/08ish) and possibly shortly after, my VM eMails had proper and full CID, if not CCID on them. Sometime after that date, there's a gap between then and 2-23-11 when I show them saved again, I started getting the phone number in there twice and no CID/CCID. So it did have CID/CCID in there at one time on eMails and I remember having it going out in the "early days". I know this from no complaints of people not answering because they don't know who's calling, as I get now.

I show many eMails when I was with ViaTalk that have extended CID on them. So . . .

·ViaTalk
Just got a reply to my trouble ticket from VOIPo saying they found the issue and are dealing with it, and please give them 24 hours. I don't know which of the two: eMail CID labeling or Outgoing CID. But something's getting fixed. Hopefully, one will trickle into the other and both will get done.

Outgoing CID Settings

I found this when I had to go in and turn down the outgoing volume. The Grandstream they sent me is so dynamically different than the PAP2T. Most of my issues are gone now. I always knew it was the crappy Linksys gear.

So there is a place to tell it how to handle OGCID. No misunderstanding here.

Re: outgoing does cost.

This will send your Number as caller ID not your name. When I called from VOIPO "California" and my number was displayed at the receivers end, not my "Name" and number.

If your called party can see your name along with your number, then thats a different case. In that case VOIPO gave me wrong information. When I contacted VOIPO they confirmed that they do not transmit caller name, which I found is true in my case.

Re: outgoing does cost.

Got the same confirmation yesterday off a direct trouble ticket that was explained much more than normal. And was told also that they depend on the end provider to supply the rest, name/etc, if they will/can/or do.

said by FarmerBob:

Good for you if it works!

I was told that VOIPO will not transmit name but depends on receivers service provider it will show State/Area/Anonymous/Number etc. but not NAME.

Here is the service ticket they responded:

said by jacobslive:

Good for you if it works!

Here is the service ticket they responded:

VOIPo Support"

But it doesn't work. This was the last reply I got:

"Your outbound CallerID settings are available under Beta > Misc.
You will be presented with a drop-down including all the numbers on your account.
You may select whichever number will be sent.

There is an option to mask the CallerID and simply present 'Private', or you may nominate to send nothing at all, which will show 'Unknown'.
These two options are available under the Features tab.

As was previously stated, we only send the number on outbound IDs.
Many carriers will show any name information if they have it on file (many do not).
Most carriers will show where the number is registered to, usually just City or State information.

·ViaTalk
I have seen a lot of these issues with the Telco's themselves for many years. So this is not an isolated issue. I just think that here it is a more sterile aspect and we have noticed sooner and more dynamically. AND with increased abuse and no support, the "Do not call list" is a joke, people that are being called are being more proactive. And there lies the rub.

The interaction of Telco's, Celco's have always been haphazard at best. And now add the VoIP's, where many of the Telco's who control this feature, for the most part, don't like sharing their ball as was the initial problem between Telco's and Celco's. And here we have the problem. Here, if at all, the fee comes into play for two reasons: an excuse why not to provide the service completely; or in this day and age of "money saving", a reason not to spend. Either way, we lose.

What ever happened to the good ol' days of industry inter-cooperation. Oh wait!! There never was any!!! Unless the Telco owned it.

problems with underlying carrier

Just don't say that on Voipo forum - or you would be slaughtered! A few sycophants form a tag team and don't accept any Voipo reason for a problem. It must be router, ISP, your stupidity - or Force majeure incompatibility!

Like any sycophants, they don't do Voipo any favor.
Technical problems are more often than not management incompetence masquerading as technical issues

said by ymhee_bcex:

This is a common practice with all service providers. It is always your fault, they are always perfect! lol

With VOIPo, at least I am getting a phone call/adequate response from customer service.

I totally understand your point though. I have seen certain responses on their forum which explains your opinion.

With my another service provider PhonePower, they do not even respond to emails unless until you start picking them up on their public forum or here at DSLR. Once they started up acquiring other VoIP providers such as voip.com, broadvoice they think customers has no more options but to listen to or take their BS. Interestingly they brought down the new signup price to 4.99 a month now desperate for new customers it seems.

Re: problems with underlying carrier

PhonePower forum has one sycophant - but he is more outlandish than the whole Voipo fan club combined.

I never tried to email PhonePower, but phone calls get answered quickly and professionally. My PhonePower account is used in doctor's office; so if they have problems - those need to be resolved right away. I also like that when receptionist called support, they were able to resolve an issue without my involvement. That said, I think their pricing is very deceptive - actual cost is about twice what is shown in big letters of the front page. Where do you see $4.99?

said by ymhee_bcex:

Where do you see $4.99?

ha ha I guess I know who is that sycophant lol

to get 4.99 price you need to go to whichvoip.com and click on the link provided for phonepower.

Their initial signup price is not deceptive but very fair I believe. If you talking about added tax and service fee, eveybody does that, even voipo. Once the initial contract is over then their price is far beyond fair.

As far as service concerned I never had to call them once the ATA is connected and running. Problems are with their website, their add on services such as soft phone, iPhone App, caller ID etc.

ha ha I guess I know who is that sycophant lol

Heh, I saw he picked up a fight with you as well

said by jacobslive:

Thank you, I didn't know about this site!

said by jacobslive:

Their initial signup price is not deceptive but very fair I believe. If you talking about added tax and service fee, everybody does that, even voipo. Once the initial contract is over then their price is far beyond fair.

Even voipo! What, voipo is now a gold standard for transparency? Well, unlike PhonePower, Voipo doesn't bill you $50 for the second year. What you pay upfront is indeed total cost for 2 years.

$8.33 per month that is in big digits on PP's front page actually turns into $13 after fees (60% on top what's advertised). On the other hand, $14.99/mo that is quoted on VoicePulse's front page turns into $15.89 after 6% sales tax. Funny, that PhonePower is still a better deal than VoicePulse (especially with two lines, softphone and SIP credentials) - but it certainly looks very deceptive!

And my understanding is that $75/year that Future Nine is showing on their front page actually means $75... I am itching for an excuse to sign up with them

Re: problems with underlying carrier

Ha, yeah we pick on each other some times, still we are good buddies.

You are welcome!

Yeah I forgot about the second year charge PP has as tax/service fee. Anyways, I don't think I will ever go back to them even if they bring the price down to 1.99/month. There is no customer service, broken applications, broken Caller ID database. I don't feel any itch whatsoever now Matter of fact, I pulled out my second PP adapter and routed the call to VOIPo number and opened a brand new account with VOIPo instead of that I knew PP has 5/mo plan available. Screw them for now!

wulf

@mccc.edu

Terrible service

Took forever to port and then they denied my free month of service.

Stay away!!!!!!!