VOIPO page on DSLReports

Review by Gaff See Profile

• Location: North TX, US
Good "About as simple as VOIP gets"
Bad "Not much right now"
Overall "I should have done this years ago"

·Suddenlink
After coming to the belated realisation that I was paying AT&T too much for home phone and DSL service and had been for some time, I started shopping around for a VOIP solution which I knew from research was much cheaper to provide than traditional telephony services.

After seeing VOIPo recommended elsewhere on these forums, I started to look at them closely. $165 for two years of service (breaking down to $6.88 a month) seemed like too good of a deal to pass up and so I signed up on 8/6 and received the VOIPo ATA unit on 8/10 (a Grandstream HT702 - provided free of charge for the lifetime of my service).

Installation was as simple as connecting one end to my router, connecting the other end to my phone and plugging in the power. After a few minutes of the lights flashing I suddenly had a dialtone and was up and running.

I did have some issues with the fact that I was using a Panasonic DECT 6.0 cordless phone, which apparently has some problems correctly receiving caller ID information from the VOIPo ATA. I also had a problem whereby the ATA would not correctly hang up the line when a call came in that was answered by my answering machine but no message was left.

One email and one livechat with VOIPo support later and a new firmware upgrade for my ATA solved both of those issues in about 20 minutes.

The one last niggle was that my VOIPo-provided voicemail did not work. The tech who fixed my above problems could not fix that one and passed the ticket on to tier 2 support, who in turn passed it to tier 3 and the issue was fixed less than 90 minutes after the livechat.

So all in all, everything is now working flawlessly and I am paying about 85% less than what I would be paying AT&T for what is a superior service with features and extras all over the place, one of which is 60 minutes of free calls a month to a long list of countries, which is going to be very useful to an ex-pat Brit like myself.

The only downside is that I wish that I had done this a long time ago.

Do yourself a favour: stop giving the incumbent phone companies ridiculous amounts of money for what costs them very little to provide and get in step with today's technology. Your wallet will certainly thank you for it.

member for 14.9 years, 3758 visits, last login: a few hours ago