Future Nine Corporation page on DSLReports

Review by VoipHomeUser See Profile

• Location: Portland,Multnomah,OR
Good "Slightly less than other VoIPs 3-Tier calling"
Bad "3-Tier calling ; not sure if cheap bottom will work"
Overall "If my usual long conversations calls (like the sister) stay cheap then keep"

My metric is CallCentric. This company has a web site somewhere between the crazy labyrinth of IPCOMMS and the excellent layout of Callcentric.

Installation worked. What can I say? Just one nit - unlike CC (again!) it was barebones setting and that Asterisk form that I can't use with LINKSYS but which I could pick through for relevancy.

Reliability & Call Quality remains to be seen. I have 250 free minutes to see it Sis starts complaining during a call. She-who-must-be-obeyed!
UPDATE: So far it's been working OK.

Tech Support gets an 11 out of 10 from me!!!
I couldn't use my 250 minutes credit because I had zero balance and they put 15 cents on the account to free up the lock minutes. Gave me my CID so that I don't have to explain why the phone number is screwy. Pointed out I was using Block CID on my ATA. very responsive. Sign of a small company, not yet overwhelmed?

Value for money: I have one complaint about all these companies --- IF THEY want my (small potatoes) business then give me the ability to buy a couple of dollars worth of calling and not make it $10 or $15 minimum!!! Then I wouldn't bug them for some free time to try it but actually pay-as-I-go!!

At 1 cent per minute if it stays that way while maintaining quality then I'm hooked!
Because free Google Voice MAYBE going away ????????

Comments:
nitzan
join:2008-02-27

Regarding minimum credit purchase amount.

Hello, and thanks for the review!

Just wanted to comment about the minimum purchase amount: both Google Checkout and PayPal (as well as "traditional" credit card processors) charge 30 cents per payment, plus a percentage of the payment. As a result, a $2 purchase incurs a 17-18% fee just to process the payment. At $15 this fee is only 4-5%, and at higher purchase amounts it's even lower. If we allowed $2 payments we'd have to raise our prices 13% which is not something we want to do. CallCentric as far as I remember had smaller payments available - but keep in mind their rates were significantly higher than ours. At the end of the day Future Nine was designed to give you the best bang for your buck.

Re: Regarding minimum credit purchase amount.

Nitzan, maybe the costs / fees for $2 purchase might be too high (or you could offer to add these fees to a purchase, if customer JUST didn't want to spend $15).

For higher priced fixed plan, I doubt costs for $13.50 vs $15 purchase is much. If it is with gooble or Payscam, then allow credit cards. Probably come out better.

Downside - you coudn't keep extra buck & half frum every user, piling up mo after mo - to invest.

Keeps F9s cost down? Most see thru that. F9's not the cheapest by a long stretch. If want to cut costs, acept CC pmts. Cheaper thn goog, PP. But don't get to invest over pmt from users each mo.

Price is $13.50. UR forcing people to overpay. CC company sez that's illegal. Yepper - most use a CC on goog or PP.

Re: Regarding minimum credit purchase amount.

Google/Paypal processing fees are lower than what most credit card processing companies charge (for online transactions). We would definitely not be saving any fees going with another processing company.

We are a prepaid provider and always have been. Nothing weird or illegal about that. And no we're not making bank investing your prepaid credit - $1.5 for 1 month can't get you much in interest, lol.

Re: Regarding minimum credit purchase amount.

Nitzan, your spin is ludicrous. F-9 FORCES ALL America Free monthly customers to purchase $15 thru Google / PayPal, when they only owe $13.50. Those credit balances build up for ALL America Free customers; sometimes to OVER $13.50.

No other company selling a product with a set price of say, $13.50, FORCES them to pay $15, then tells customers, "Well, you'll just have some store credit left, that will continue to build each month, as you make more purchases. Eventually, you'll build up enough credit to pay one month's bill."

I encourage all interested in whether this practice is illegal to contact your CREDIT CARD company and the federal trade commission (FTC) - Bureau of Consumer Protection, about ALL trade practices suspected as unfair. The FTC takes anon. online reports against companies.

There's nothing forcing F-9 to only allow monthly customers to purchase $15, when they only owe (usually) $13.50. Even if it was legal & F-9's rationalization is that it helps keep costs down, which are passed on to customers - it's not working well. (rationalization has nothing to do with legal or ethical practices).

America Free is not a pay as you go plan, or a "purchase credit to be used up, as calls are made" plan. It's a $13.50 fixed fee plan (except overseas calls). It says so on F-9's web site. F-9 says it will deduct $13.50 from America Free customers accts before each month of service. So let them purchase $13.50 (or more, if they wish).

In light of a bare bones web site, no phone support, email support that may come soon, take several days (or not come at all), F-9 prices - compared to other providers' services & features, should be lower than they are. If F-9 had a superior product at lower price than any other provider, it's market share would be much higher.

As for your comment about fees from CCs always being higher than Google / PayPal, I'll let others investigate that simple matter for themselves. I believe your figures are wrong. Even so, that's still irrelevant.

Re: Regarding minimum credit purchase amount.

We are a prepaid provider, we offer prepaid service. If you want postpaid service- purchase service from a postpaid provider.

Re: Regarding minimum credit purchase amount.

Why do you say I'm not / wasn't an F-9 customer? In fact, I have been. I will say, F-9's voice quality & uptime was generally good.
There isn't one untrue thing I said. Nothing is exaggerated. If anyone has proof otherwise, please - present the facts.
WHY does F-9 FORCE users to OVERPAY for America Free?

Saying you're a prepaid service, over & over doesn't mean anything. You are confusing "prepaid" with a debit account system, where one purchases specific $ increments, to be used at will. That's not what America Free Plan is - it IS $13.50 FOR ONE MONTH OF SERVICE.

»www.future-nine.com/plans.html
America Free

Month-to-Month Price: $13.5/month
See? Says right there - $13.50, not $15.
Prepaid in this case, ONLY means you pay BEFORE service is provided, NOT that you must OVERPAY - every month, above what your site clearly states is a month to month, fixed price.

Regardless of what you repeat, doesn't make it true. It's also completely irrelevant to the issue. Calling me names doesn't change facts.
Politicians use same method as you - Avoid facts, skirt the issue / question & keep repeating something long enough so people believe it.

Like pre paying for McDonalds meal before you eat it, or post paying at a restaurant. You still pay ONLY the amount DUE. By your ridiculous logic, F-9 could say minimum purchase from Google / PayPal is $30, $45 - "because we're a prepaid service."

So, is America Free $13.50 /mo, or is it $15 & F-9 keeps the credit, until customers build up enough credit to pay a full month? I'm finished. If users want to overpay, that's their business. At least they know the issue & what they can do about it.