ooma page on DSLReports

Review by semotus See Profile

• Location: Plano,Collin,TX
Good "Pay once and never again*. Call Quality. Interesting features available."
Bad "My first and only contact with CS so far was sub par. Will the company be here next year?"
Overall "A compelling VOIP alternative with some caveats."

I purchased a refurbished Ooma core unit sans Scout at Fry's Electronics for $169. The Scout unit wasn't of any use to me anyway since I'm plugging my cordless phone system base station into the Ooma hub. If I ever need any of the functionality provided by the Scouts on other phones I'll just connect the hub to my internal phone wiring.

I'd been a Vonage customer for 5 years which was currently costing me $32.99 per month so the hub will pay for itself in 5-6 months. A good thing if Ooma continues doing business and the hub continues to work.

Actual setup was easy and fast. System was up and running in about 20 minutes including unpacking, online hub activation and a brief glance at the Quick Start Guide. I placed the hub behind my router rather than in front, instructions are provided for various network setups and hardware configurations.

I've only been using the service for one day but thus far call quality has been excellent.

Pay once and never again.* Well maybe. If you want to access certain Ooma Premier functions on other phones you'll need to buy a Scout unit for each phone from which you wish to utilize those functions (A complete Ooma Core system comes with one Scout), the service comes with a 60 day subscription to what Ooma calls it's Premier service(Not required) which includes functions such as a user generated telemarketing black list, a second line and a couple of other features for $99 a year. If the hub dies out of warranty you'll have to buy a new hub at full price. I've read on BBR that Ooma may have to start charging their customers for taxes in the near future.

My first and hopefully only call to CS was less than stellar. The CS rep had a thick accent which was hard to understand and the fact that he was in a room with what sounded like hundreds of other people talking and pounding on keyboards didn't help. In the 5 years I was with Vonage I never had a reason to call CS, hopefully Ooma will be the same.

There's been a lot of discussion in the BBR VOIP forum regarding Ooma's business model and whether or not they will be to maintain their current pay once phone plan. Only time will tell. It's an interesting experiment for me and I'll be happy if I at least break even on the cost of the hub. If the company goes under or starts playing fast and loose with their terms I'd switch to Future9 which is who I would have gone with if not for a couple of obstacles unique to me personally.

I'll update this review as time progresses.

Update:

Well its been just over 2 years and my original Ooma Core unit is still working like a champ. If I had continued with Vonage I would have spent $857.74 for phone service during this time period. Subtracting the original Ooma Core cost of $169.00 I'm $688.74 on the plus side after 26 months of service.

The phone service itself has been rock solid, if there ever has been an outage I didn't notice. Voice quality has been excellent, probably with a little help from my excellent Verizon FIOS service.

But, there's always a "but", right? If the Ooma Core unit went south on me would I purchase the Telo and continue my service? Probably not.

I've quite frankly been spoiled by the lack of a recurring bill for phone service and with the new additional fees and taxes required since I first became an Ooma customer I doubt I'd be willing to take on those fees now.

Ooma's foray into the Android Market was to say the least lackluster and brought nothing to the game. Take a look at the reviews for yourself:
»market.android.com/details?id=co···h_result
The app is poorly designed, functions poorly, expensive and just adds additional per minute costs. I don't use all my cell phone minutes each month as it is so the application provides me with no benefit.

I may be in the minority but I don't use a land line at all anymore. Based on my own experience a service such as Ooma is quickly becoming obsolete. I've read that many people still want traditional type phone service but it's an option that doesn't fit my needs or lifestyle.

And finally, after 2 years and 2 months of service caller ID still shows Ooma Inc. when I call someone from my home phone. I could have called customer service and attempted to correct the issue but after reading others experiences with customer support I decided to leave well enough alone.

I'd probably still recommend Ooma to anyone looking for land line service. It does function as promised and the savings, even with taxes and fees, can be substantial in comparison to any of the telcos.

Comments: