Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!

ooma page on DSLReports

Review by bksmith5 See Profile

• Location: Fargo,Cass,ND
Good "Amazing features for both Basic and Premier customers"
Bad "Why didn't I take a chance on Ooma sooner?"
Overall "Don't let FUD prevent you from trying Ooma out!"

First, FUD = Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt (in case you aren't already aware).

I was a long-time Vonage customer and am moving away from them since they have increasingly raised their rates without really improving their services or adding long-requested ones (such as a "blacklist" to block telephone numbers that a user specifies).

Ooma is a breath of fresh air to me. The package of features that they offer are comparable and surpass those that Vonage offers at a price that cannot be beat: Free (with nominal taxes charged every month) or Premier ($10 per month or $120 per year). There is the upfront cost of purchasing the VOIP adapter -- either the Telo or the "Core" (Ooma Hub + Scout - the "hub" is necessary for phone services while the scout is something I've not dug into to fully understand). For my service, I bought the Ooma Telo at Best Buy for ~$200.

The quality of voice calls is superb and the ability to have an "Instant Second Line" is simply awesome. I haven't had any issues with dropped calls since signing up. The ability to have a personal call-block list of phone numbers is priceless to me. There's even a "community blacklist" that can be used in conjunction with your own list, if you choose.

I'm currently in the process of porting one of my telephone numbers from Vonage. Once that is complete, I will be cancelling my Vonage account and enjoying phone service for ~$14/month (with taxes/fees included) versus the ~$60+ per month that I was paying with Vonage.

Goodbye Vonage..and good riddance.

1/11/2011 Update: The number port process was a bit painful for me, but it ultimately concluded very well with excellent support from Ooma. The service continues to meet my needs very well indeed. Cancelled my Vonage account and running strong with our Ooma Telo.

I've become a vocal supporter of their services and recommend them to everyone I know!

member for 14 years, 2023 visits, last login: 16 days ago