ooma page on DSLReports

Review by tmc8080 See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY
Good "Great to get away from telco & cableco voip!"
Bad "Rare downtime, ISPs tweaking net neutrality sucks"
Overall "Phone service for $3.74. - $3.79 (varies basesd upon monthly use) a month. $10 more if you want premium features"

·Optimum Online
I paid $184 (2012) and got a $50 rebate, so net price was $144! Even with premier of $100 a year, I'm saving about $21 a month over FIOS voip and would have spent $16 more than Optimum Voice. The ooma Service went down once in the first 4 months and not for long (1/2 hour). I have a cell phone as backup and that's all I need.

Why pay more with other telecoms or 3rd party voip companies?

Sure, you might get a better upfront deal with a MagicJack, but long-term, Ooma is the better value and reliable service. Ooma pays for itself in as little as 6-12 months. As of this review I've saved $85 on voip by cancelling Verizon Fios triple play and subscribing to Optimum Boost 50/8 for $44.90 a month (if I include video cancellation, it's a net savings of $40 a month)

The Ooma forum is very good first line support and circumvents the need for many customer service calls.

As long as my Ooma telo holds out... I'm a happy camper.

Update: I've had the Ooma for 2 years.. and recently (February, 2014) I think Verizon's been messing with their customers because there was some bad voip quality during the month of February. In a few weeks it cleared, but I was annoyed. During the same time I had limited ability to stream video. Maybe I should have called Verizon also to complain but I was too busy working. I still think Ooma is a good deal & the equipment has gotten cheaper. You can buy NEW units for $149 and often you might find deals as low as $99 for a new one. Maybe Ooma will make a newer VOIP box soon. This current one seems outdated by current technology standards. Ooma also has a referral program where you will get Amazon gift cards as a reward. That puts Ooma well below other VOIP services based on cost alone.

member for 10.4 years, 1226 visits, last login: a few hours ago