voip.ms page on DSLReports

Review by Mango See Profile

• Location: www.toao.net
Good "Multiple PoPs, BYOD, great sound quality, PAYG, lots of configuration options, Canadian CNAM."
Overall "Better than a landline."

·Callcentric
·Anveo
·Shaw
·AcroVoice
·callwithus
If you're a beginner, but want to gain a solid understanding of how VoIP works and have tons of professional-level features to play with, VoIP.ms is in my opinion the perfect starting point. And if this isn't your first rodeo and you already speak fluent SIP, VoIP.ms will likely be an excellent complement to - or even replacement for - your choice of SIP PBX. VoIP.ms' extensive feature list beats the vast majority of their competitors at this price point. I can set up sub accounts for as many devices as I like, I can have multiple voicemail boxes, and I can configure multiple devices to ring for incoming calls...even if they're not in the same location. I can set up an IVR to route inbound calls to the proper place. My favourite feature by far is Caller ID Filtering. I can't even remember the last time I received a call from a telemarketer. This is all in addition to audio quality that's every bit as good as a landline, and the best Caller ID Name in the industry. If this sounds good to you too, then welcome to VoIP.ms

I like having low ping time to my VoIP provider, but what is even more important is being able to switch PoPs to work around an internet routing issue. My ISP is cheap, but doesn't have the best track record for consistent internet routing and it's not uncommon for traffic from the west coast to the west coast to suddenly be routed through Washington, DC. This adds horrible latency and jitter that makes VoIP unusable, but fortunately with VoIP.ms and their unique multiple PoP setup, I can just switch PoPs and work around my ISP's problem. If I used a VoIP provider that had equipment in only one city, my only option would be to port to another provider. I am genuinely glad I don't have to port my number once or twice per year when my ISP has an issue. That said, I see people switching PoPs too often in troubleshooting. If routing and ping time are good and consistent, then playing PoP roulette is likely to "solve" your problem only by coincidence.

VoIP.ms has historically implemented a great deal of customer suggestions, however there have been few features released in the past two years. There are a some very important things that need improvement, that I think would make an already great VoIP provider even better.

- Their voicemail features would be complete with a "centralized" setup that did not require significant effort when switching between PoPs.

- Their multiple server setup would be complete (and they could possibly make the claim of 100% reliability) with automatic failover, including DNS SRV. We run a program on our Asterisk server that monitors VoIP.ms and changes our DID to a different PoP if our usual one goes down, however that's more complicated than it needs to be.

- Their call forwarding features would be complete with configurable answer confirmation.

Having said this, there are so few other VoIP providers that boast any of the features of VoIP.ms, that it's hard to argue a rating of any less than five stars.

Conclusion: thanks to VoIP.ms who have, for the past 3.5 years, proved to me that VoIP really can be better than a landline!

member for 5.3 years, 3159 visits, last login: a few hours ago