voip.ms page on DSLReports

Review by teddy See Profile

• Location: Kingston,ON
Good "Incredibly feature rich for low cost"
Bad "Website lacking documentation"
Overall "Great value if you don't mind getting your hands dirty during setup"

·Cogeco Cable
·Start Communicat..
Update Feb 12, 2012: No changes since last update. Still very reliable and cheap! Looking forward to many more years with voip.ms

Update Jul 31, 2011: Another update. Haven't had even the slightest hiccup since my last update. Have converted 2 coworkers full time over, another planning to move over. Simply cannot beat the value! I have been using the montreal server for a number of months. Overall everage cost per month is under $7 (which includes the $1.50 E911 and $1.99 DID fees)

Update Apr 12, 2011: It's been nearly 5 months since my phone# was ported. Aside from a few hiccups in the early stages the service has been rock stable. I'm loving the call features and especially the savings!! Today a friend signed up and is super excited by everything. He's taking a work trip to the US and is looking forward to making SIP calls from his Galaxy S saving a bundle over using long distance.

Original review:

I signed up for voip.ms near the end of October 2010 shortly after receiving my PAP2T in the mail. Used the service for outgoing calls for testing and to play around with the ATA and voip.ms features.

On October 28th I submitted a request to port my number from Cogeco. Nov. 1 voip.ms set the port status to processing. It wasn't until Nov 25 that something finally happened - Cogeco disconnected my phone service. Unfortunately my port didn't seem to be complete, for 2 days I could not receive any phone calls. Thankfully once I contacted voip.ms support, they were very helpful in keeping me up to date on the progess of getting my number working. Although it was not their fault they refunded the $25 porting fee which I felt was generous.

So far there have been a few little hiccups in the service. I've switched between the montreal and toronto2 servers a couple times, but it seems toronto2 is the best.

Without Mango's fantastic documentation I doubt I would have come close to happy/confident enough to actually port my number »www.toao.net/25-linksys-ata-configuration, a must read for anybody with a PAP2T on voip service.

Overall I've been very impressed with voip.ms thus far and can see myself being with them for a long time. I've even got a few people at work family ready to jump ship in the next little while from their current providers based on the price and features of voip.ms alone. My porting experience is not something I speak badly of against voip.ms, frankly I'm happy I'm able to do it at all otherwise I probably wouldn't have switched at all!

member for 12.3 years, 3072 visits, last login: a few hours ago