voip.ms page on DSLReports

Review by real_goose See Profile

• Location: Apollo Beach,Hillsborough,FL
Good "Inexpensive and full featured"
Bad "Tech support not helpful"
Overall "Unlimited features and great value for technical users"

·callwithus
I've had an account with VoIP.ms for several years, but only this year have I started using them seriously. When Google killed Gizmo, I switched my incoming calls to an IPKall number that uses a VoIP.ms registration to deliver the call to my Aastra phone. This has been working great for months, so I was able to convince my wife to drop our last analog phone line.

Unfortunately, we had intermittent one way voice issues when I put VoIP.ms onto line 1 of my SPA-2000. (Line 2 is registered to PBXes.com and has been in use for years for outbound long distance and incoming foreign DIDs.) My Internet is from a U-verse RG rather than a cable modem and separate router so I had to keep reminding Alex that I could not connect directly to a modem and I could not make many changes in the router. Even putting the SPA into the DMZ did not help.

I finally 'fixed' the problem by putting VoIP.ms onto an OBI 110 with no forwarding or special setup. I'm not sure what the problem was but I suspect something in that older ATA is just different than current models. The units from Obihai are under active development while the PAP line now from Cisco is not seeing many updates or fixes.

I found the support process exasperating. First I tried an on-line chat. When I asked questions about the responses, he quickly ended the chat. I then opened a ticket which meant we corresponded by email. VoIP.ms has created a wiki that contains useful information. Invariably. if I asked a question, I would get a excerpt from what is in the wiki. It then took 2 or 3 more responses asking for an answer before I would get a answer to my actual question. Every entry from me took about a day to get a response and the whole process took more than 3 weeks.

Calls are good quality with no more wife issues. I really like all the features, but I'm still working out how to fully use everything available. I add telephone solicitor numbers to be filtered, but this is like playing whack-a-mole. Rather than reacting after the fact I'd like to be able to filter know solicitor numbers like Google Voice does.

I ported in my ATT number, so the monthly and per minute rate is higher than if I had registered a new number. Because both inbound and outbound minutes are charged, I will probably switch to monthly unlimited rate.

3/31/12 Update

I dropped reliability a notch because of intermittent problems making calls for the last 3 weeks due to authentication errors. I was registered, but the 503 error did not allow us to make calls. For at least 2 weeks people tell us they tried to call, but they get not in service messages.

Finally on March 28, VOIP.MS had major outages as many customers had the same problem. They did not update the issue tracker when they first started working on the authentication errors and still have not explained root cause or a final fix ETA. Having such issues is bad enough. But they really must do a better job of posting known issues as soon as they know they have a problem.

7/3/2012

Just purchased a new DID for my future new home south of Tampa. They had a number I could not pass up. I have an Obi already there and was using Google Voice as my main number, but GV kept disconnecting after about 20 minutes irritating my wife. The good news is that my wife not longer insists on an analog POTS line. VOIP.MS has been reliable enough running on an Obi here in Detroit that my wife issues are not an issue.

12/15/2013

I've raised my reliability rating. Not only has the service been more reliable, I find them more proactive if there is a problem. I opened a support ticket for what turned out to be a problem with my phone. The response was better than in previous years, but the terrible initial install non-support still keeps me from increasing my rating yet.

member for 13.6 years, 2541 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Arne Bolen
Happy Anveo customer
join:2009-06-21
Cyberspace
·Anveo

Use PBXes for your Voip.ms account

You are already using PBXes. By adding your Voip.ms account to your PBXes account you wouldn't need to use more than one line on your SIP device.

Main provider: Anveo - Secondary providers: Callcentric, CallWithUs, Localphone, Rebtel and VoIP.ms
Hosted PBX: PBXes.org - Phone: Gigaset S685IP --- PC OS: Ubuntu 11.10 - www
real_goose

join:2001-04-13
Apollo Beach, FL
·callwithus

Re: Use PBXes for your Voip.ms account

The phones in our house have 2 lines so we have 2 active lines. For now, 2 physical ATA devices is a small price to keep things the same for my wife.

I also want some redundancy and don't want to put all my eggs into the PBXes basket. My wife knows if she can't make a call on line 1, press the line 2 button and call. (On PBXes line 2 US calls go on callwithus.)