voip.ms page on DSLReports

Review by omasse See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Tremendous value for do-it-yourself VOIP"
Bad "Occasional glitches"
Overall "Not looking back!"

·ELECTRONICBOX
voip.ms is not the place I'd send my grandma but for someone tech-savvy and cost-conscious, it cannot be beat.

They have a wiki with a lot of documentation to get you started, and setup was fairly easy with a PAP2T ATA adapter. However, I had to refer to Mango's page to further tweak the configuration for better performance. I've never been able to make it work with my alarm system, and didn't try faxes.

Their web site is slow to log into, but once this is done, it is very easy to use, with lots of online help. I didn't feel overwhelmed and was delighted to see all the options they offer. For me, no need to set up an Asterisk at home!

Porting my personal phone number to them went without any glitches.

I've had a few routing glitches in their network such as not being able to ring the other party (on the premium plan), thus I can't give them all their stars as far as reliability is concerned. I'll have to test it in the long term to see if this is recurrent. But up until now, for the price I pay, I can't complain much beyond that!

For someone who used to pay a lot more for a basic phone with no options at all, I'm not looking back. voip.ms is here to stay.

Comments: