voip.ms page on DSLReports

Review by ds1 See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "Call quality is good. Good number of features."
Bad "Customer service is below average. Unjust requests. No auto-recharge."
Overall "Do not appreciate customers."

I've used VOIP.ms as a backup provider for outgoing calls and the call quality is fine.

First problem arouse when international calls were blocked. Turns out they require a photo of an ID to enable intl. calls to a number of countries. Fine, our international calls have been routed through another provider.

Then Irene came and our primary provider (CC) went down, so we've decided to port some numbers to the VOIP.ms.

It took 0.5 business days to make money from paypal to appear on VOIP.ms's account, although there is no warning about that on their web site, confirmation email said that it "may take a few moments" and their support guy kept me online for about 1.5 hours "trying" to reach someone from their billing department.

After money have been transferred, they demanded to disclose *all numbers and services* that i have with another provider in order to do the port. The explanation for that is that its their provider's demands.

Question "who is that provider" has been ignored. "Why do they need it?" -- "to make sure that other services are not canceled and to make sure your port is not refused by the losing provider".

We have been doing ports with many different providers and this was the first time we've been asked such nonsense questions, since it is nobody's business what other numbers or services we have with which provider(s).

I was assured that that information "will be safe and used only for the port process" by the same guy who promised a refund next day and we are still waiting for it 5 days after.

Our porting process was cancelled because they would not proceed without us disclosing our business with another provider and they still hold our money (supposedly it takes "7 business days" for a refund).

So the bottom line that they are an average provider with "my way or highway" attitude, average customer support who would do the usual support tricks just to get rid of you and weird business practices (blocking of intl. calls for prepaid accounts, demand to disclose irrelevant private business info).

Also, since this is a Canadian business, the US laws for customer identity protection may or may not apply, and it could be more difficult to get jurisdiction over them if they will lose your information.

Comments:

suppafly
join:2009-11-27
·Cablemas

Regarding your review

Hello

Regarding the ID, it is required since any customer can send up 500 USD per day on payments, and as a VoIP provider with low margins, we have been victims in the past of several cases of impersonation and loses in the five figure department within the last year, please note that the ID can be blanked out of all confidential information as long as the name and expiration date are visible. You can verify our reputation online and on this forum in order to see that we have shown to be a reliable company.

Regarding the requirement to disclose all the remaining services with the losing provider, this is entirely a requirement from the losing carrier in order to authorize the port out. I have been overlooking all the VoIP.ms ports for over 3 years, and this is in no case a very unusual requirement. We love to have fast ports, and on this case the only reason why that is being required is because the losing providers wants it to release the numbers.

By the way you mention that you requested a refund, the timeframe to complete them is 7 days, and we will refund all the remaining balance if that is what you have requested. We have tried to be clear. show good faith and tried to be upfront with all the information we received when we tried to port in your numbers.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or comments to my email peter@voip.ms Ill be glad to assist.

Regards,
Peter Sahui - VoIP.ms
ds1

join:2012-11-07
New York, NY

Re: Regarding your review

You say that it is a requirement from the losing carrier.

Other VOIP.ms staff said that it is a requirement from VOIP.ms's carrier:
"Unfortunately, it is a required for our carrier a list of all the numbers and/or services that should remain in the losing carriers account."

Every explanation about this is vague and different, maybe because this is actually not required and other providers are doing ports without it.

Also, the losing provider already knows which numbers or services they provide us with, so why would they require this information from you?

As per porting fees refund, as per VOIP.ms's staff (written on 2012.11.01):
"The porting fee will be refunded by tomorrow."

suppafly
join:2009-11-27
·Cablemas

Hello again DS

To be completely accurate, this is a request sent to us by the CLEC handling these ports on our behalf, upon request of the CLEC that is currently holding your numbers in order to release them. This is not a rare request, we do see several of these every week.

You can bet we would love to offer 1-hour ports where there are no rejections, however this is the current state of the system of porting numbers between American carriers at the moment, where the losing provider can always request for additional information just to agree to release the numbers.

Please let me know if you have any questions, I now see why you may have thought it was just a bureaucratic requirement from us, however this is truly not the case.

The refund that you have requested will be processed within the originally promised 7 days timeframe, and we will refund your complete initial deposit to your Paypal account.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, Ill be glad to help clear them up.

Regards,
Peter Sahui - VoIP.ms
ds1

join:2012-11-07
New York, NY

Re: Regarding your review

Our request was not sent to any CLECs.

It was canceled by VOIP.ms staff about 12 hours after submission, without even sending it to provider.

I am aware that 1-hour ports are not possible at this time and was not requesting one.
Expand your moderator at work
rigelex

join:2012-11-13

said by ds1:

As per porting fees refund, as per VOIP.ms's staff (written on 2012.11.01):
"The porting fee will be refunded by tomorrow."

Was the fee refunded? If it was, and if you believe the comments of others that voip.ms acted in a standard way, would you consider changing your evaluation of them? It does not seem fair to leave such a poor review with them if they do not deserve it?
PX Eliezer7
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

Agree with Voip.MS

I agree with what Peter of Voip.MS has written.

I've had to supply the same types of information when doing other ports.

jimk
join:2006-04-15
Raleigh, NC

These are not abnormal requests

There's nothing wrong with a VoIP provider wanting some form of ID for unlocking international calls. Fraud is way too common and they have to protect themselves. For what it is worth, I had no issues with providing my ID to them in order to unlock international calls on my account.

Regarding the information needed to port, this is not unusual either. I have dealt with numerous CLEC providers where number ports were involved, and the information required can be quite substantial. Generally, the more you provide the better. For example, when you provide a list of services, they will be able to determine if any of those may impact the porting process.

So there's really nothing wrong with how VoIP.ms handled the international calls or porting process.

Regarding the refund, I don't know why they are taking a few days, but if I had to guess, this would be an anti fraud measure as well. Their refund policy is very generous for a prepaid provider.