voip.ms page on DSLReports

Review by MacGyver See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Economical, beats POTS with a stick"
Bad "No incoming flat-rate option, priced in US$,"
Overall "Serves my needs!"

·TekSavvy DSL
I signed up for the service and grabbed an urban phone number for 99 cents a month. It was up and running in about 10 minutes!

I also ported a phone number from my CLEC to voip.ms which took six days. I received regular updates from voip.ms via email on this process. So I didn't need to keep checking a website to see what was going on.

Once I had tweaked my ATA device as per voip.ms' recommendations, the service works perfectly. I have had a couple of dropped and garbled calls; however I am unsure if this is voip.ms or something to do with my ATA/QoS settings, or the other person's crummy cordless phone. I'm still learning.

The configuration website offers so many options, it can be confusing. Anything you could want: call forwarding, ring groups, failover, voice mail, CID filtering, you name it. Take advantage of the great tech support if you can't figure something out. I have certainly learned a lot by using this service about routing telephone calls, ATA settings, telephony terminology. I'll never take a POTS line for granted again! The configuration page on the website lets you know at a glance if your DIDs are registered, so there isn't any guessing. This was very helpful to aid troubleshooting when I was trying to open ports in my firewall.

After my first month, I discovered that the incoming rate would be billed at 1.49 cents per minute because my existing number was in a rural area. If I had taken a new urban number, incoming rates would have been 1.0 cents per minute. This has caused my monthly savings over POTS to be a bit less than I had anticipated. If you receive a large number of calls or take long calls on a "rural" number, you may wish to look at other providers with flat rate options for incoming and outgoing.

If somebody calls me and I have the call filtered out via caller ID to anything other than "hang up", I still get billed a tiny amount even if my phone doesn't ring. But I love looking at the call logs and seeing how many telemarketers are wasting their time trying to call!

Although this company is based in Montreal, they bill in US dollars, which is something to be aware of if you live in Canada and have to live with the fluctuating exchange rate. It would be nice if they had an option to pay in Canadian dollars.

I've had this service for over eleven months and I have been extremely pleased. My only regret is that I didn't dump POTS years ago and go this route. I'm saving $400 a year over regular phone service.

member for 12.8 years, 6045 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
MartinM
VoIP.ms
join:2008-07-21

DID Rate

Thanks for your objective review of our services.

Regarding the rate of your number, if you can pass me in private the number, I'll gladly check with our carrier if we can give you the 1.00/0.01 rate.

Regarding the Canadian exchange rate, we monitor it closely and if one day we find that it's impairing our rates, we'll find a way to charge our Canadian offerings in Canadian dollars or the equivalent in US Dollars. It's a potential problem we're aware of and we'll be ready to act if the need arises.

Regards,
Martin - VoiP.ms

MacGyver
Don't Waste Your Energy
Premium,ExMod 2003-05
join:2001-10-14
Canada

Re: DID Rate

Thanks Martin for your concern and reply, it is great to do business with a company that isn't afraid to take advantage of this website, too!