old twc page on DSLReports
Closed to new reviews.

Review by bmilford See Profile

• Location: Frisco,Collin,TX
Good "Speed"
Bad "Non-promotional pricing is too high and Bad Performance of Motorola SBG6580 gateway."
Overall "Great Speed, but you have to keep tabs on your promotional period and watch your rate."

I used to have the AT&T U-Verse 24/3 internet only package. I was disappointed by the high pings due to the interleaves VDSL infrastructure. Time Warner Cable (TWC) was my only other alternative. I selected the 30/5 internet only package from TWC. The online ordering process was easy and quick. They have many caveats about how after the one year promotional period, standard rates apply. I tried calling TWC and also chatting with their online support and no one could tell me what the current standard rates were. This is not really acceptable. I was supplied with a Motorola Mobility SBG6580 DOCSIS 3.0 router. At the time there was no modem rental charge and the wireless was included for free. It turns out Free is all the wireless on the SBG6580 is worth. It is wireless N, but it has very poor range and speed. The gateway would frequently (every day or two) lock up and need to be reset manually. I purchased a Netgear WNDR3700v3 wireless router and placed the SBG6580 in bridge mode and have not had a single lock up yet.

I have had slight issues with the online billing, if I don't reboot my modem once a month, I am not able to login to myservices from home. I am also disappointed by the difficulty in determining what speeds may be available to upgrade/downgrade to and what that would cost.

member for 12.4 years, 2645 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

uggabugga

@photoninfotech.com

Actual Non Promotional Pricing

Retail rates: Lite internet 1/1 Mbps $29.99, Basic internet 3/1 Mbps $39.99, Standard internet: 15/1 Mbps $57.95 ::: Add ons to Standard internet: Turbo 20/2 Mbps $9.95, Extreme 30/5 Mbps $20.00, Ultimate 50/5 Mbps $50.00 additional.