AT&T Wireless Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by IowaCowboy See Profile

• Location: Indian Orchard,Hampden,MA
Good "Best Mobile Broadband Service Out There"
Bad "Costs more than the competition"
Overall "Go for it, if you have the extra money."

·Verizon Broadban..
After having frustrations with the new mobile broadband service (marketed as Comcast High Speed 2go) that is offered by Comcast and runs on the Sprint Network and many issues with the customer service (and lack there of), I canceled it under the 30 day customer guarantee and went with AT&T Mobility's mobile broadband offering. I purchased the new Novatel MiFi 2372 from AT&T which is now part of their official lineup of mobile broadband devices. The device is 149.99 with a $100 mail in rebate with a 24 month agreement. AT&T is the first GSM carrier in the USA to offer MiFi devices and the other two that offer MiFi devices (Sprint and Verizon) operate on CDMA networks. I choose AT&T because I have had them for 6 years for cellular phones and I am happy with their service and the coverage is excellent (New England area). I ordered the 5 GB limit laptop connect which is advertised at $60 per month. I am averaging 2 mbps downstream and about 500 kbps upstream. I went to the AT&T store in South Portland, Maine while visiting my Grandma's and they were very helpful and I had my device in less than an hour. It was immediately activated and I took it home to where I was staying and it is so much better than the Comcast High Speed 2go and the speeds are much faster. The MiFi is so handy I can get rid of the separate data plan on my iPad and put the smartphones on the AT&T basic data plans since I can connect them to the MiFi so it will save me money in the long run. I wish we could have had this technology years ago when I got my first laptop in 2003 and have little or no options to connect to the internet on the go (what's the point of having a portable laptop when you cannot connect to the internet). I do however plan on keeping my Comcast Cable Modem service because AT&T limits bandwidth consumption to 5 GB per billing cycle and I have heard horror stories about people getting bills in the 5 and even 6 digit figures for excessive data consumption on their cellular modems. So I find AT&T to be the best mobile broadband service out there. As for the home modem, I just wish Verizon would deploy FiOS in the Springfield, MA area.

Update: I ended up returning the device (in the 30 day guarantee) and going with Verizon Wireless Broadband Access instead, mainly due to cost. The AT&T LaptopConnect was good for the service but is more costly than other providers.

member for 4.2 years, 2173 visits, last login: a few hours ago