AT&T Wireless Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by W4DRA See Profile

• Location: Dunnellon,Citrus,FL
Good "Great speeds here in the country"
Bad "5 gig"
Overall "Real Good"

I had Sprint Mobile Broadband (snicker) for a two year period. (BAD CHOICE)
I wondered what other choices were in my area. I called AT&T about the broadband for my area. I was on the FAIR area as far as signal. But I ordered it anyway.

I was wondering if I could get the signal I needed for the Sierra USB 308 to work properly. I have metal sideing on my house and its tough to get a good signal even with my AT&T Phone.

I got the order in and opened the package and there was a Sierra USB 308 modem and a short USB cable, with AT&T connection manager. All instructions were easy to read and follow.
I installed the software and modem and called the toll free number for aceptance and agreeing to there terms, painless.

When it was activated I was a little concerned with the signal being only 2 bars. I used internet explorer and loaded my homepage at www.wvva.com and was shocked how fast it loaded.I then flushed the cache and reloaded the page again and it was again fast loading.

I did some speed tests and got about 2mbs down and about 600kbs up, Well that was faster than Sprint already and I didn't even have the external antenna installed yet. I then called AT&T and asked what frequency the network was on? To my surprize no one could tell me. Thats bad for me because I am in the country and have to do things the hard way. I tried a 1900mhz antenna and it didn't work. I then tried a 850 mhz beam and couldn't get it to increase the signal, BAD BEAM.
I ordered a Wilson tribander beam from the 3gstore and like magic it worked, FULL scale and 74dbm.

I did a few more speed tests and was getting about 4mbs down and 1.5mbs up.
AT&T is a winner here and its like being in a new world of fast internet. I am 8 miles from the tower.

The only thing that concerns me is the 5Gig a month. I think there should be a 10 gig a month usage. After all @ $60.00 a month compared to cable (Which I don't have here) is not a good deal.

All in all I am happy with the ease of use and performance of my New Service.

PS Lower the price or raise the cap from 5 to 10 GB a month... ;-(