AT&T Wireless Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by caribconsult See Profile

• Location: Mayaguez,Mayaguez,PR
Good "Very fast"
Bad "a little pricey"
Overall "Way better than Sprint 3G"

I was a Hughes satellite customer for way too long. I switched to Sprint via Millenicom about 3 years ago and that worked well until recently, when the service just fell off the table, no doubt due to tower congestion. I switched to AT&T when they introduced 4G service in Puerto Rico (where I live) and it was much faster. The 5Gb cap was a bit of a bother, but since I was paying Millenicom $70 a month and the AT&T was only $50, with a $10/Gb charge for overage, I figured I could have 7Gb for the same price I was paying Millenicom, and I can live with 7Gb...we have two computers on our home LAN and it works for us.

The really good news is AT&T apparently just upgraded their equipment and now we can have LTE service instead of the HSPA+ we were getting before and the improvement is stunning. My download speeds are as high as 12mbps, and usually in the 5-7mbps range.

Ordering was a breeze...I just went to the AT&T store, picked up the gear and had it working that afternoon.

UPDATE ON ROUTER USE: There have been major advances in 4G compatible routers. Cradlepoint routers now fully support 4G I had the CTR500 but it was not always dependable...lots of tech support calls, operations grew increasingly erratic until I finally upgraded to the CBR450, which works well with 4G and the Sierra aircard. See CP for a list of supported aircards/modems

Since I already have two LinkSys access points, I got the router without WiFi, and connect everything via an 8 port switch and the Netgear EOP for one of the access points. .

LATEST UPDATE (April 2013) 4G service here continues to be good. AT&T opened a new tower about 3-4 miles from my house and my signal level has jumped seriously. Speeds settle in at around 4-6Mbps which is more than adequate, and AT&T has announced new, bigger data plans: 10Gb for $80 (previously $100) and 15Gb for $110 ($150). Not too bad a deal if there are no other options, which there aren't.

Comments:

Charles49

@centennialpr.net

313U Air Card

Hola Jeff:
I have an Att Air card 313 and am looking for a router for it.
I was wondering if you finally found one that works. I was on the Cradlepoint web page and they state that several of their routers support the Momentum 4g Lte air card. Do you have any info on this?
Thanks, Charles

caribconsult
join:2003-03-19
Mayaguez, PR
·AT&T Wireless Br..

Re: 313U Air Card

Hi Charles, sorry it took this long to respond to you. The CP router and 4G is highly variable, depending on just what kind of 4G your have; there are several levels: HSPA, HSPA+ and LTE, and probably a few more, but the point is, my CTR500, which ran fine when I used it with Sprint 3G, ran like crap with the 313U when I upgraded to 4G. My service was in the HSPA-HSPA+ range. CP Tech made minor config changes but reliability was awful. It would just dump and crash regularly There are two firmware uploads at CP's site you need for some router and aircards, but even with all that it ran so bad I bagged it and used the aircard in my travel laptop as a windows ICS host (not my favorite configuration).

As soon as it went LTE about a month ago I tried the router again and it ran the best I've ever seen....the router/modem combo stays connected for days at a time and reconnects withing 20 seconds if it drops for some unknown reason.

Go figure. I spent hours with a very good techguy at CP and he was as astonished as I was. You can tell what level you have with the software that comes with the device, the "Connection Manager" and you can also tell by looking at the LEDs on the aircard. Holding the aircard with the AT&T logo at the top, the left light is blue if the device is powered up. The right light will be blue for any variety of HSPA, and it will go green for LTE. That's how I discovered they had switched. The difference in performance is remarkable. Plus it stays connected. If you've got a green light, then I'd go with the CP router line. Their tech support is good and I've had no problems with mine other than what I described above. If you don't have LTE, I'd make sure I could get my money back on any 4G router, CP or not, if it doesn't behave well.

I hope this helps you. Just IM me if you have any other questions.
Sierra 313U/AT&T 4G LTE in Cradlepoint CTR500 router, 2 LinkSys WiFi a/p, 4 XPPro units, FireFox everywhere.

caribconsult
join:2003-03-19
Mayaguez, PR
Hola, Charles,

Exito con el CP router? Que hiciste?