AT&T Southwest page on DSLReports

Review by Gaff See Profile

• Location: Mineral Wells,Palo Pinto,TX
Good "Low latency, speedy browsing"
Bad "Lower speeds than my old cable, PPPoE overhead means you don't get advertised speeds"
Overall "Solid and reliable, but slow"

·Suddenlink
·VOIPO
After working with my previous provider, Suddenlink, trying to nail down excessive packet loss and speeds barely faster than dialup at peak times over a period of several months, I eventually cracked and decided to give DSL a shot (ironically they seem to have fixed the packet loss issues shortly after I ordered the DSL).

It was almost 2.5 weeks from the day I ordered until the service was live, but this delay was mostly due to porting my current telephone number from Suddenlink to AT&T.

Since Suddenlink had changed some of the wiring around in my house to be compatible with their cable telephone without needing to do a lot of re-wiring then I went ahead and scheduled a technician install of my DSL to straighten this out. The port was scheduled to be completed on 3/9 but the earliest a technician could be at my house was going to be 3/12. Oh well I figured, and confirmed the appointment.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that bright and early on the 9th an AT&T engineer was at my house to complete installation of the landline. I had assumed that they would just flick a switch at the CO and that would be that (until Thursday's tech appointment) but their guy was in and out of here in a flash and had everything working fine in less than 15 minutes.

With these wiring issues taken care of I went ahead and cancelled the scheduled tech install of the DSL on Thursday, since a self-install should only take me a few minutes.

I plugged the DSL modem in the next day (Tuesday 3/10), they day AT&T had told me my DSL would be active by, and the modem sync'd up immediately.

Download speeds are only ~1.5Mbit down currently but I am hoping that this will ramp up over the next 10 days to at least 2.5Mbit down. At 12,000 feet away from the CO I know that this is about the maximum I can expect due to the limitation in distance with regards to DSL. The supplied modem is a Motorola 2210 that AT&T are charging me $50 for but that has a $50 MIR so will work out to be free. You can't beat that.

Overall I am happy so far with the performance and will update this review accordingly with any particular praise or major issues.

------------------- UPDATE 3/20/09 -------------------

With a lot of help from David over on the AT&T Direct board I found that my line quality was good enough to be able to qualify for Elite (6 Mb) speeds, since my Pro line had fully ramped-up to 3 Mb without issue.

I placed the order to upgrade from Pro to Elite ($5 a month extra, $35 a month instead of $30) and am waiting for it to be implemented in the next couple of days.

Big thanks to David on AT&T Direct!

------------------- UPDATE 3/26/09 -------------------

Now up and running on Elite with no issues. Modem is sync'd at 6016 and then minus the ~12% PPPoE overhead puts my max at about 5300, and my speed tests are showing 5100-5300 so I am right up at where I should be.

------------------- UPDATE 8/14/12 -------------------

I have cancelled all of my AT&T service, including DSL. Whilst there was nothing wrong with the service itself, I could no longer justify paying $40 a month for a 5Mbit connection, especially since the new "overage" charges meant I was frequently paying $10-$20 extra a month on top of that for going over 150GB a month.

DSL is yesterday's technology and you pay through the nose for it. DOCSIS 3 and fibre is the future.

member for 14.6 years, 3584 visits, last login: a few hours ago