Cablemas page on DSLReports

Review by suppafly See Profile

Good "Decently priced Triple play"
Bad "Internet modem disconnection, technical support never showed up to replace modem"
Overall "Id seriously consider another Internet provider, if reliability is the most important aspect you value"

After spending almost 10 years using ADSL from the "big company", I finally decided to switch to Cablemas triple play, here in Merida, Yucatan, Mexico

For 57 USD they offer you 10 megabits Internet (a quite decent speed by mexican standards), along with telephone service w unlimited USA/Canada (limited to 1000 mins) and Cell phone calling (limited to 100 mins), along with Analog TV for up to 4 TVs (and a digital box included, others can be rented for 3 usd/month).

The only small hiccup during installation is that, given the choice by the provider, I specifically chose to have the installation done in the afternoon. Turns out they requested it for the morning, and I couldnt be home to watch the install like I would have hoped.

My main interest due to my work was to have a good internet connection. Luckily the speeds are great as advertised, and the pings and latency are much lower than with the "big company". The internet is clearly beyond the quality offered by the competitor on ADSL.

So far Im very happy I switched to Cablemas, lets just see what happens with time. Ive been using the service for a couple days so far, no issues!.

Update February 2013: The internet connection worked fine for 2 months, then for 5 days the latency (pings) were tripled to all destinations. Their technical support was limited to asking me to power cycle my device, and nothing else.

There were also 2 incidents last week where the cable modem lost connection (orange lights), I called technical support again and they scheduled an afternoon visit on last friday. Their techs never showed up, and they havent called me about this either. I am considering switching back to the "Big company" when my Cablemas contract is finished. The "Big company" has slower internet connections, but the service is more stable regarding the outages and equipment disconnections.

My internet connection has been back to normal for a few days, however these recent incidents leave me with serious doubts of the support I will get if there is a more serious/persistent issue later on.

Update December 2013: I am no longet a Cablemas customer. I went back to the BIG telephone company, their internet is slower (3 mbs) however it is reliable, and you dont have to wonder if itll work tonight or not

member for 4.9 years, 1705 visits, last login: a few hours ago