Choice Cable TV page on DSLReports

Review by printscreen See Profile

• Location: Juana Diaz,Juana Diaz,PR
Good "Best speed for the price, no slowdowns so far"
Bad "Customer service representatives are not the best"
Overall "Good value and solid performance"

·Coqui/PRTC
I have been on this company only for two months but so far the performance have been very good and speed is at or very close to advertised speed. I cannot comment on time from order to success because I visited their offices to return a cable converter box and took the opportunity to subscribe to their Internet service and walked away from the office with the modem in my hand. Then I did a self-install and the service was working right away.

I have been a DSL user for 6 years so far and had rock-solid service from the telephone company except for some periods of time when latencies were horrible. So I expected to get the same level of service from my cable company. So far although it has only been two months the service has been equally solid.

At the time of this review, this company has the best value in broadband service in Puerto Rico. It is the only company offering 3 Mbps for $23.95. I have 6 Mbps for $41.95. Their offers go up to 15 Mbps. All other cable companies in the island are either too expensive for similar speeds or simply do not offer speeds higher than 5 Mbps. The local phone company offering the DSL service is a joke now with 1 Mpbs service for the same price as the 6 Mbps that Choice offers at this time. That's the reason I switched from DSL.

As usual your mileage may vary. Level of service will depend on condition of the cable TV network and congestion in your local area. These guys have added more nodes and fiber in many areas recently.

Area of improvement is their customer service representatives. I once called them to create an e-mail address (the account includes 5 addresses I believe) and for the life of me, I could not get the CSR on the phone to understand that it was not just a matter of adding the account in Outlook Express on my side without the mailbox being created first on their side. I wasted more than 30 minutes on that call. A few days later I called again and got the account created in a matter of minutes.

Update on Aug-3-2010: As of Aug-1-2010 they have doubled the speed for the basic tier from 3 Mbps to 6 Mbps. The 6 Mbps tier is now 10 Mbps. Other tiers have been increased also with the top tier going from 15 to 20 Mbps. They increased the monthly price $2 on each tier.

Update on Aug-31-2011: On September 1, 2011 speeds are increasing again for people in the 6, 10 and 15 Mbps tiers. The 6 and 10 Mbps tiers will merge into one with 12 Mbps down and people with 15 Mbps will get 20. I am not clear at this moment about pricing. Just got off the phone after talking to customer services about the price since I expected to see my price drop to the same level as the prior 6 Mbps tier given that they get double the speed for a $2 increase. The customer service representative told me that my upload will increase to 1 Mbps from 512 Kbps (which the clients in the 6 Mbps tier won't get). My speed has not yet increased and is due to increase tomorrow. We'll see after Sept-1.

Update on Sep-1-2012: Speeds offered as of today are now 15, 25 and 50 Mbps. Price above was updated to reflect current price for the 15 Mbps tier.

Update on Oct-3-2013: Speeds offered are now 20, 25 and 50 Mbps. Price increased for all speeds.

member for 10.8 years, 3023 visits, last login: a few hours ago