Virgin Mobile Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by Papageno See Profile

• Location: Portland,Multnomah,OR
Good "Sorta cheap I guess: $20 for 500MB"
Bad "Terrible support, very slow d/l speeds"
Overall "Not worth it. There has to be something better."

This is the third day straight that I can't connect to VirginMobileUSA's Broadband2Go (prepaid), $20 for 500MB/month using the MiFi2200 hotspot, and I've contacted customer service only to get the ever-helpful "try resetting your unit" advice, as though I'm a moron and hadn't already thought of that, done it AND PUT IT IN MY EMAIL TO THEM, but do they actually read the email? Of course not! After I answered that yes, I had reset the unit (I was polite, no capital letters or anything) they apparently have decided to ignore me.

I'm going on vacation soon and when I come back I'm going to try another carrier, maybe T-Mobile. They seem to have comparably priced prepaid wifi hotspot service. At least where I live, this VM service is undependable and slow (very often dialup speeds on the download), and I repeat, the customer service/tech support is a bad JOKE. Around 300 bucks down the drain, lesson learned.

member for 3.4 years, 588 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

simons

@cisco.com

Awful. Stay away.

Awful performance. I see less that 100kilobits, yes, kilobits per second. The advertise broadband, but in reality we're not talking broadband speeds. I intend to return the device, it's simply awful.
dstnvns

join:2011-11-14

Re: Awful. Stay away.

My average results from speed tests hovers right around 1.2Mbps/400Kbps. Higher for sure when using Linux, but always acceptable. Since Verizon uses the same Novatel USB modem, that can't be the source of your problem, which leaves system configuration. Unless you didn't check Sprint/VM's coverage in your area prior to purchase.