Clear Wireless page on DSLReports

Review by ocjosh See Profile

• Location: Santa Fe Springs,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Good price for 2 lines, no cap, no speed limit till you work it out your own"
Bad "Require outdoor antenna to make it usable, new customer need to pay a lot more now"
Overall "I am lucky"

It's definitely not good for mobile use, because it can't continuous connect to different towers right away like 3G when you are on the go. Only if you are moving within that single tower covered area, you may move as fast as you want. The coverage is great outdoors only. Indoors are more pathetic on most of cases, only by the opened windows. The WiMax signal can't go through low e windows well, not to mention insulated walls (from full bars to nothing easily).

Both home modem and hotspot mobile modem, I have to use external outdoor antenna which are hard to install and expensive, to make it stable and good speed. I use the service in high condense populated Los Angeles area. Speed varies like any ISPs, but decent 4.5 Mbps to 16 Mbps from peak to normal hours. I watch Netflix through smart TV, IPTV box for live international channels, and a lot of online radio streaming. It's wonderful service till I have outdoor antennas installed, which the rooftop installer cost is about $50 after calling around and the antennas for $31 for my mobile hotspot (now it went up to $100s range) and $89 for my home modem external outdoor antenna.

I should have signed up the 3 lines for $80 back in October 2011, it's so precious now for the plan and affordable price. But again, outdoor coverage is a lot better than their indoor poor speeds.

update: 8/8/2013

Both home and mobile hotspot at 2 locations in Los Angeles county, the speeds still at least 6 mbps but peak is like 9 mbps for past 2-3 months now. I think Clear might have more customer or something.

I am seeing 3D and Super HD on NetFlix for 3 weeks now, they are great. But Youtube is buffering often with higher resolution options during weekends somehow.

Comments: