TekSavvy Cable page on DSLReports

Review by kvnpark See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "Value"
Bad "Start up cost. Some downtimes."
Overall "The best option available in Ontario"

UPDATE (2013-07-24)
No issues. Happy with service.

UPDATE (2012-02-04)
Wow. Can't believe it's already been well over a year since the first review.

My connection's been fairly stable since the last update below. Even when others reported outages in North York, mine has been up for most of the time. Inconsistent speed is the main issue, but seems to be better these days. I'm boosting the connection reliability rating to 4/5.

I'm keeping the value for money rating at 4/5 even though the price went up because there really isn't a better alternative. Sad...

*******OLD REVIEW********
As scheduled installation and activation. It's so much better than dealing with Bell.

Smooth transfer from DSL to Cable. You just cancel DSL and order Cable and try to overlap by a few days.

Living in an era where more and more customers make decisions based on more than just low prices and promotions, I'm one of those people who try to support ethical companies. And that's why I buy from Teksavvy.

My service started only today. I'll update this review if it needs to be.

More info here: »[Cable] Happy Customer (Update: P2P Issue)

Update: Very slow during peak times. It's unusable.

More here: »Anyone in North York experience slowdown (peak time)?

Update (2010-11-27): Everything's good now. It's been stable all week. The tech came and boosted the signal and removed some old connector in the line. I'm not sure if that did anything as another hiccup happened soon after the tech left.

Frustrated, I unplugged the power from both modem and router. Let it sit there (or hang on the wall in my case) for a good 5+ minutes (close to 10 min I think). Rearranged the power cords, and voila! it's been working fine since. It could all have been just coincidence.

But I did notice a change in the modem stats. The frequency of the first bonded downstream channel changed from 609000000 Hz to 615000000 Hz. Also, the upstream frequency changed from 25296000 Hz to 31296000 Hz. I don't know if those changes are significant...

Well, I've changed the stability score from 2/5 to 4/5. I'll consider the early troublesome times as part of a settling down period.

UPDATE (2011/2/12): Been up for 67 days. ^^ Hopefully I didn't jinx myself.

UPDATE (2011/2/26): Connection went down for many hours a couple days ago (significant # of people in North York were affected, apparently). And last night, it was much slower than usual. I downgraded my ratings for reliability and tech support also since TSI can't seem to do much but simply notify Rogers and wait for their reply. A much much faster troubleshooting / fixing is needed. I did upgrade my rating for 'service' for the increase in cap to 300GB. I just wish it was more reliable as I use VoIP now among other reasons.

member for 7.3 years, 2065 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Support1
TSI Support
join:2009-09-28
Chatham, ON

Review

Hey Kvnpark,

Thanks for the review! I'm glad to see that even through the tough times you've had a reliable connection! As for the speed issue, I'm very sorry that your speeds were degraded at one point, I'm quite relieved to hear that it appears to be resolving it's self but if it does take a turn and start to degrade again, please contact us right away!

Regards,