TekSavvy Cable page on DSLReports

Review by RayA See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "Price for the features, Easy Switch, Generous Limits, Transparent Co."
Bad "Nothing really, they fix the bottlenecks as fast as they can"
Overall "Support your indy ISP, they work harder for your money and you get a better return"

It's been almost a year since I switched to Teksavvy and couldn't be any happier.

No issues whatsoever. I am updating my connection reliability rating to full 5 stars as it deserves it.

UPDATE (03/09/2011)

It's been a while I haven't updated my review. Since my last update the congestion issues were fixed and I have nothing to complain about my internet connection. It was smooth sailing since.

UPDATE (12/21/2010)

It's been 21 days since I switched to TS Cable and I am a happy customer. One minor problem for me is the exceptionally slow evening hours and it's been worse lately. Tonight the dl speed was crowling around 3mbps untill midnight. I had Grade A line quality but the speed was painfully slow. Things only picked up after 2:00am and I was back to 15 mbps. I am on McNicole POI. So in this update I downgraded my "Connection Reliability" rating one notch

=============== BEGINNING OF THE REVIEW ====================================================================

As you can figure out from my comments above, I was a ROGERS customer. I always hated to be a captive customer and was waiting for an alternative. When I found out that Teksavvy started offering Cable Internet my mind was made-up. I knew Teksavvy for it's DSL service since last year but I wanted to stay with cable.

Rogers: 10/.5mbps - 60 GB limit, overage $2/GB, traffic shaping for $50/mnth

Teksavvy: 15/1mbps - 200GB limit, overage $.5/GB, no traffic shaping for $48/mnth

Closest ROGERS service to TekSavvy 15/1 package is their own Extreme service which offers 15/1mbps - 80 GB limit, overage $1.50/GB, and they are charging $60 for that. TekSavvy gives you the same speeds with 120GB more limit with much smaller overage fee for $12 less/mnth. Costwise, it's a no brainer, so I refused the ROGERS lame retention offer without much self-debate.

But the cost and numbers alone wouldn't tell the whole story. How would the customer service be, how easily tech problems can be solved and how would I feel dealing with this company in general. A bit of a background about myself. I am a tech guy so I am not a stranger to connectivity issues, been online since the days of 300 baud modems on dial-up lines and I know my way around modems/routers etc. In short I don't fit the average ISP customer profile so my likelihood of needing support is slim at best. Having said that I am also aware of Murphy's Law which states that "Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong", so I can not completely discount the importance of tech support. Anyway here's the rundown (draw your own conclusions from it):

11/13/2010 - I called ROGERS and told them I wanted to cancel my cable internet service. They told me my cancellation date would be December 1st. I then ordered Teksavvy Extreme Cable package (online) along with Motorola SB6120 cable modem, made an (online) payment of $199.90. On my order I specified Dec 1st as the required activation date and 11:00am-5:00pm as my availability timeslice on that date.

11/14/2010 - Received a confirmation (email) from Teksavvy along with my Teksavvy email information. Set it up in Outlook and was able to access the POP server immediately. The SMTP did not work however, so I was initially concerned but when I read the forums I've learnt that SMTP not working was not actually a problem but an intentional measure taken by Teksavvy to prevent unauthorized email relaying. So there are no strikes there. Everything was smooth so far.

11/16/2010 - I received my spanking new DOCSIS 3.0 Motorola modem. I was now ready for the future and didn't have to pay monthly modem rental fees anymore. Set the modem aside to wait for my activation date. One note here, up to this point I never called Teksavvy by phone. So I wasn't sure what exactly was going to happen on the activation date. Was somebody from ROGERS going to show-up between 11:00am-5:00pm, would I really need to be at home during that time period?. Teksavvy does not include any such information in their email correspondence. So you either have to call them to find out or just wait and see. Since I am not currently working, it didn't matter to me, and I simply waited to see.

12/01/2010 - WELL, nobody showed-up on my activation date, by the evening I still had ROGERS service, so I decided to wait until my service was cancelled.

12/02/2010 - Ok today I have no internet. ROGERS service is now over. I disconnected their modem and hooked-up my SB6120 instead. Modem Lights slowly started to come alive and finally all except the RECEIVE light settled to be solid green. RECEIVE light was solid blue (meaning I had channel bonding downstream...cool!..). Everything looked just fine. I fired-up my browser and loaded the status page of my wireless router. Released the DHCP lease from the old ROGERS service and refreshed the lease to get a new WAN IP address for my router from Teksavvy Service. The operation was successful...but.....I had no internet!!....Hmmm, I then decided to re-boot the router thinking that may fix the problem......nope....still no go. When I try to load my home page (Google) in the browser I just get a "page not found" error. I then tried to ping the DNS Server's IP address in the WAN Status page of my router.The ping failed, telling me "The destination network is unreachable". Ouchhh!!, Murhpy at work again, maybe it's time to call tech support. I did ( I was 6th customer in line waiting for a rep. It only took 4 minutes to be connected with a customer rep.), he told me to disconnect my computer from the router and connect it directly to the modem, then power cycle my modem and try again. I did...still no go, no internet access. The rep was puzzled and told me to hold the line for a few minutes. About a minute into the hold, I thought I would try again and refreshed my browser page VOILA the simplistic Google home page in all it's glory. I finally had internet access, don't know how but I did. I almost hung-up the phone in excitement but then I thought it would be rude to the rep and I waited for another 5 minutes. When he came back I told him that the issue was resolved and I had internet access. I asked him why he thought it did not work at first when I tried with my router connected. He said it might have been something to do with router settings. He asked if there was anything else I needed help with, I said no thanks and we hung-up. I then reconnected my computer to my router and the router to the modem but this time I power cycled the router instead of a simple re-boot. What do you know!, I still had internet after the router restarted. It's been smooth sailing since.

ISSUES since i was first online with Teksavvy:

- Rush hour traffic during the early evening hours. My SPEEDTEST download speed barely reaches 10mbps and usually hovers around 8mbps. I reach full 15mbps (and more) during later evening hours. That's OK with me as I am a late night guy. I don't think that's a Teksavvy issue either, as I had that problem before with ROGERS too.

- Similar story with PINGTEST. 2% pocket loss during rush hours (Grade C connection), 0% during late evening (Grade A connection).

- I haven't tried P2P yet so I can not comment on traffic shaping. I'll leave that review for a later date.

»www.speedtest.net/result/1056726541.png

»www.pingtest.net/result/29465192.png

I guess I can live with TEKSAVVY much better than I used to live with ROGERS.

Comments: