TekSavvy Cable page on DSLReports

Review by ahm2307 See Profile

• Location: Etobicoke,ON
Good "Excellent speeds at decent prices, no downtime to date"
Bad "For two weeks, experienced terrible speeds due to problems with my local node"
Overall "TSI a great company, but they rely on Rogers to deliver their services so expect some frustrations"

Update Oct. 1: It seems like the issue was finally resolved. Rogers fixed whatever was wrong with the POI I'm connected to. Here's my advice in a nutshell:

As far as frustrations go, you go through the same hard time with TSI as you did with Bell/Rogers/Telus. However, TSI does offer much more competitive packages and, therefore, they deserve your business.

---

Update Sept. 26: I tried calling customer service at 6:10 pm today. It is now 7:46 pm and still no pick up. I requested a callback, got one at 11:10 pm. The guy was nice but said exactly what I expect him to say: There's a problem at the Scarlett POI, Rogers is aware of it, they'll fix it; no, we don't know when and, sorry, we can't offer credit until the problem is fixed. I'll give them a month. Till then, my review score stands.

As to the commenter below, believe it or not, TSI is STILL accepting customers in Etobicoke, meaning the Scarlett POI is only going to get worse. They only issued a stop sell for Dupont POI and a few others.

----

Ok, so it's been two months and my opinion has changed sharply.

Whereas before I was so overwhelmed with how good these guys are compared to Rogers/Bell, it's clear to me now that they are just as bad, if partly because of the incumbents themselves.

The speeds I'm getting today are far worse than what I was getting with Rogers. I'm taking 1 Mb/s in most cases. I can't play games, stream videos on any websites, including Youtube...can't even listen to internet radio. It's basically a crippled internet connection, far worse than the one I had in Egypt, a third world country with a very weak internet infrastructure.

I have not called their customer service yet, so I've kept my 4/5 tech service rating intact, but I don't anticipate they'll do much when I call them tomorrow.

I can't say I'm not disappointed. Part of me really felt that the connection I was getting was too good to be true, and sadly that turned out to be the case.

Expect their rating to decline steadily over the months to come as they pile on more customers further choking their already-congested POIs.

I am currently considering switching to another small company, Acanac, but really, what's the use? Internet is garbage here in Canada. I've been with all of them: Bell Sympatico, Rogers Cable, Bell Fibe and a small cable company that serves only north Alberta, where I briefly worked. I have nothing good to say about any of them.

I am embarrassed when my parents come to visit me from Egypt or Turkey (where they're from) and complain about the internet being too slow; yes, believe it or not, our speeds are "too slow" compared to third world countries. That's how bad it is.

All that aside, I stand by my principle never to do any business with Bell, Rogers or Telus. These three companies alone have undermined Canada's entire telecommunications industry.

Comments: