TekSavvy Cable page on DSLReports

Review by crt See Profile

• Location: Kitchener,ON
Good "Higher bandwidth cap, fair prices, and direct customer service via dslreports forums are all advantages over Rogers."
Bad "Once a year when it's time to upgrade the infrastructure, everything goes back to the dark ages."
Overall "Best residental ISP for Kitchener/Waterloo compared to other competition."

UPDATE - July 17, 2013
Upgraded to 45/4 from 28/1. Not impressed by the speeds at all.

»www.speedtest.net/result/2842651967.png

Guess I'll wait for Rogers to fix it, like always. I should have stayed on 28/1. Keeping review scores the same, except for connection reliability. It has been god awful for years.

UPDATE - April 4, 2013
Modem fiasco is being resolved quickly. More updates after I see how the provisioning process goes. Hopefully my current modem does not prematurely deactivate before the new one is ready. Also, I was mistaken about the rates. I'm in Rogers territory, not Cogeco, which is more expensive.

UPDATE - April 3, 2013
Compared to when I first came to TekSavvy, the speeds and stability is much better.

Recently, I ordered a new modem and its been a week with no email for invoice/payment details. Looks like ATPIA rates are more money for slower speeds anyways. I give up again, just going to keep giving them my money because there's nothing better available. Maybe someday I can give a 100% rating.

UPDATE - Sept. 26, 2011
My theory on how Teksavvy is dealing with the network congestion. Step 1) Send Email to Rogers. Step 2) Wait 48 hours. Step 3) Done.

ORIGINAL review
TekSavvy pre sales information and install co-ordination is all a clever lure to take you away from Rogers for more of the same.

I'm supposed to be getting 15 Mbps downstream. For 2 months I'm lucky to get 1 Mbps for more than 12 hours a day.

Direct support forum takes 2 years to respond to any problems. The same drivel is given every time: "Rogers is upgrading, just be patient".

Value for money is terrible with activations fees when I was already on Rogers and had a modem already. They had to send two techs out to look at my modem lights and say 'Okay you're good'. The techs were not even Rogers employees. For all I know they could have been there to steal my TV.

The monthly fees and bandwidth caps are fine. Not that I'll ever reach 300 gb with a 1 Mbps connection. It's still better value than the lightest Rogers package. Though, not by very much.

Highly NOT recommended. Go with DSL or something else.

Comments:

TSI Martin
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

Help needed?

Hello,

I understand you may be frustrated with your internet connection, but we are here to help.

I looked at your thread in the Direct forum. I see that you initially asked if changing modems would alleviate the speed issues you were having. Other then that, we really haven't had the chance to do much Troubleshooting. I've replied to that thread to do some troubleshooting in hopes that we can gather an overview or your situation. I've also notice that you haven't called in to do any troubleshooting either. We really would like to help, but we do need you to help us do this for you. As for upgrades, this is true, there is one for Kitchener that is coming up within the next few weeks.

Thanks & Regards,
Martin
TSI Martin (Escalations) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

Here's what I have read:
Upgrades coming week of September 12.
Upgrades coming September 22.
We're literally day-to-day at this point.
Coming up within the next few weeks.

Okay, whatever.
geokilla

join:2010-10-04
North York, ON

Re: Help needed?

Did you get charged for those tech visits?

Re: Help needed?

If missing 3 hours of work so I can be at the my house for the second visit counts, then yes.
eheyl

join:2008-03-23

oh brother

So very tired of people slagging Teksavvy for something beyond their control. Until they have their OWN infrastructure that they build, they will be at the mercy of bell/rogers because bell/rogers own the lines. When they want to do something (like upgrades), they will. I've been with Teksavvy since they became available in kitchener (I'm on extreme cable pro) and have had no issues with them. I've been seeing slowdowns at night but not during the day. and I know that Rogers is to blame, because THEY own the lines. Sheesh!

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed

said by eheyl:

If you're so tired of it, then in your response it sure sounds like you think they are "resellers" ? Because they are NOT resellers. They are an ISP so each user is entitled to be upset with their ISP.

God forbid people be upset with an ISP that doesn't advertise they resell for Rogers i mean lease, i mean rely on.

At what point will users like yourself realize Teksavvy KNEW what they were getting into. This isn't news to them. They knew they were in bed with the devil and simply knew they'd be double crossed a few times here and there.

So if you would kindly leave new customers alone with their upsets with their ISP as Teksavvy is an ISP. Let the upsets continue, in time TSI might use ALL of it against Rogers in the future CRTC battles. Quit blaming customers for their wrongs when they did NOTHING wrong.
eheyl

join:2008-03-23

Re: oh brother

Not blaming anyone. But common sense should tell people that since Bell/rogers own their lines there's really nothing that a a third party provider can do. And as of last night the whole thing is much better as I was able to comfortably watch HD Law and order with no drops. And I guess TekSavvy really SHOULD tell people "hey we don't actually own the physical connection, we just lease from Rogers/Bell". I would have thought it would be common sense. But I guess its too much to ask for people to think about things a bit deeper. Kind of like the upcoming election, but that's a whole other story.

I don't work for Teksavvy and am a customer, so I think my comments have merit. You wouldn't blame the weatherman for bad weather right? He/she doesn't own the sky. WIth the whole UBB/AVP thing going on, I would have thought that people would know that TSI is beholden to Rogers for their lines.

Re: oh brother

So I guess I should write a second review for Rogers?

Be right back, calling Rogers technical support.

neuromancer1

join:2007-01-22
York, ON
·VMedia
said by eheyl:

Are bills say Teksavvy not Rogers therefore Teksavvy is to blame. So sick of them and there fans playing the blame game awhile paying customers get screwed.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
said by eheyl:

TSI does have its own infrastructure, right up to the POI... from the POI to you though is LAST MILE, controlled by the evil robbers-sith.

DIAL 1-80-DARK-SIDE for free Jedi lessons...
You see there is only one constant. One universal. It is the only real truth. Causality. Action, reaction. Cause and effect.
-Motorola SB6120-1.0.6.1 + Netgear RangeMax WNDR3700v1

stonedog

join:2010-07-25

TSI has to fix this

I understand that some of TSI customers think that those of us who are upset with TSI service are being unfair b/c TSI does not own the lines and has to rely on Rogers. I accept that there is an element of truth in that, unfortuantely it is an unforgiving world.
TSI has been expanding its customer base to the point it has been overwhelmed; that was within their control and what any business would seek to do. However they did not do so without adversly affecting their existing and new customers. They should have planned for this; they either did not or they made a pigs ear of it either way they are responsible. As a matter of contract law our relationship is with TSI and not Rogers and therefore we complain to TSI. If TSI has evidence that this is a deliberate attempt by Rogers to interfere with the service of its customers then it should make this known. It might be concievable that in such a case that a class action against Rogers for the tort of interference in contract by TSI customers.

Ultimately as with any contract the parties must take the banefits with the burdens. TSI is supposed to be providing us with highspeed internet service not excuses

TSI Martin
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

Your Modem order

Hello,

Would you please post in the »TekSavvy Direct forum as we would like to discuss the Modem with you.

Thanks,

GOOGLE FIBER

creed3020
join:2006-04-26

Massive outage

Do you realize that there is a massive outage today affecting all ATPIA clients: »[OUTAGES] July 17th

I would recommend holding off on speedtests and updating your review on the 45/4 until the smokes clears from these fiber cut/routing issues.