TekSavvy Cable page on DSLReports

Review by JCohen See Profile

• Location: Nepean,ON
Good "Getting the Advertised Speeds, 300GB Cap, No more Rogers."
Bad "N/A"
Overall "A great company and a way to stick it to the incumbents."

TekSavvy Ontario Cable
-----------------------
I ordered TekSavvy Extreme Cable on September 15, 2011 and chose September 28-30 for my activation dates. I got a confirmed install date from Rogers for September 28, 2011 between 11-2, the tech came around 11:30am. I had him run a new RG6 coax line to replace my aging RG59 to where the modem was going.

I am using a Motorola Surfboard SB5100 cable modem and I am averaging around 2.0-2.5Mb/s on multi-threaded downloads. Getting a SB6121 setup on my account sometime within the next week.

UPDATE: October 28, 2011
Just a quick update on my TekSavvy cable, the connection has been perfect without any issues in Ottawa on the Fallowfield POI. I decided against getting an SB6121 just to save the $120+tax and as such my speeds during off peak are 2.0-2.5MB/s and during peak 1.5-2.5MB/s.

UPDATE: November 23, 2011
Still going strong on the Fallowfield POI, I've been lucky and was able to miss being hit with DHCP issues so far. Although I had a disconnect about 2 weeks ago around 2:00 AM and I'm not sure if it was related to the DHCP issues in Ontario but I was back online within 5-10 minutes and have had no issues since.

UPDATE: March 26, 2012
A quick update, I got the speed boost from 24Mbps -> 28Mbps while still using my SB5100 and I haven't had any issues with it. Still got some node congestion during peak but off peak I'm able to sustain 28Mbps.

UPDATE: June 10, 2012
Still going strong with my trusty SB5100 on the extreme tier, 28Mbps down & 1Mbps up, and although their is still node congestion at night it's nothing that I can't live with.

TekSavvy Quebec Cable
-----------------------
I ordered TekSavvy High Speed Cable on August 29, 2011 and got a confirmed activation date of September 16, 2011. Install was done with no problem at all and the modem synced up to the Videotron network within 30 minutes of the install.

Using a Scientific Atlanta DPC2100r2 cable modem and I am averaging around 1Mb/s on all downloads.

UPDATE: November 23, 2011
Everything is still running smoothly with the Quebec cable, small little issues here and there but they are too hard to trace due to living in an apartment. The issues were random drops for a few minutes throughout late September to early October but nothing since and I'm pretty sure it's somewhere before the modem as the modem was running for years on Rogers with no issues.

UPDATE: March 26, 2012
No issues since November, the internet has been stable and runs at 8/1Mbps without any issues. I did change the plan from Express Cable 8 to Express Cable 8 Lite as I barley even used up the 50GB of usage from the old plan tier.

UPDATE: June 10, 2012
Still no issues since the November issues and still getting the full 8/1Mbps speed.

member for 4 years, 1796 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh
join:2013-02-24
Chatham, ON

Review

Hello Jcohen,

Thank you for the review! I’m happy to see you have had TekSavvy service for a while and have been enjoying the service. I am also very glad to see there has been minimal issues with our connection. If you have any questions regarding your service please do not hesitate to send us a message. We are more than happy to help you.

Thanks again for your review and please continue to keep us posted on your TekSavvy journey.

TSI-Ashleigh
TSI Ashleigh - Social Media Team
Authorized TekSavvy Employee

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

Re: Review

lol why did this get bumped 7 months later?