TekSavvy Cable page on DSLReports

Review by ergosteur See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Great service. Good Price/Speed+data allowance ratio. Cable service (no dry loop)."
Bad "Still have to rely on Rogers network."
Overall "Overall, happy with the service."

Update: Connection has been very reliable at my Toronto site. Was one of the lucky ones to get on the Dupont POI before the stop sell. Since March I've had virtually no downtime (Pingdom reports 99.90% up) and very good speeds, always in the 20-35Mbps range even at peak times.

Price is $70 tax included for the 28M/1M unlimited service.

Signed up for TekSavvy cable this summer after a particularly bad experience with Rogers earlier this year. I had considered switching to Bell Fibe or one of the regular 5Mbit DSL providers, but liked the 15-20Mbit I was getting with Rogers and Fibe has ridiculously low caps.

As soon as I heard TekSavvy cable was available in my area, I called to sign up for the Extreme Pro 12/1 uncapped service. I was told the install had to be coordinated with Rogers, and I would have to get a cancellation date for my existing Rogers Hi-Speed before TekSavvy could process the order. So I called Rogers, who said the earliest I could cancel was in 30 days. Put in the order for cancellation and called TekSavvy back to set up the install. I ordered the Thomson DCM475 which was quickly delivered to me at work. (I should note that for some reason Canada Post wouldn't deliver the package to the receptionist and required me to sign for it. Not sure why.) On the designated day, I unplugged the old Rogers modem, plugged in the TekSavvy one and that was it.

The connection's performance is good, haven't really noticed a difference between the Rogers 25mbit service and TekSavvy. Also was happy to discover that I got a free speed bump to 24mbit from 12 and my DCM475 was compatible.

I have, however, like many people in Brampton it seems, been experiencing random downtime (loss of sync?). The connection will go down without warning but be back up usually within 5 or 10 minutes, but sometimes as long as 30 minutes or an hour. Naturally, I called Tech Support. They were very friendly, but at first didn't acknowledge that there was a problem and said the line would stabilize after some regular maintenance, and that some downtime was normal. A few months later, I started having more disconnects, and not just at 3AM anymore. So I posted in the TSI direct forum here and was informed that there is possibly a known issue and that a fix is in the works. I really hope that the fix comes soon, and works well!

Comments: