TekSavvy Cable page on DSLReports

Review by annabelle See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Decent speed"
Bad "Terrible customer compensation and customer support"
Overall "Do not and will not recommend TekSavvy for internet services unless you don't mind up delays in setting up your services"

TekSavvy Express Cable 18

300 GB Bandwidth

Up to 18 Mbps Down / 512 Kbps Up

I'm pretty disappointed with TekSavvy. I heard good things from a friend, so I decided to switch over from Rogers because my promotional plan came to an end in November. I basically paid $220 for 26 days of service.

For those interested in the details: the modem costs $100 with $10 shipping, the setup fee was $45 ($65 - $10 with modem purchase) and the actual service fee is $40. After tax, this comes out to be $220.

My internet service was supposed to be activated on November 29th. I received email and phone confirmation that my services would transfer with ease from Rogers to TekSavvy on this date. However, this was not the case.

I called in on Nov 29th as I did not have internet and a representative told me that they would email Rogers to see what the issue was. (TekSavvy outsource their technicians to Rogers to set everything up, but since I was originally with Rogers, there wasn't really much installation required, except for a quick switch from someone at Rogers. Turns out the switch wasn't quick which doesn't make sense as a technician wasn't even required since nothing had to be installed.....)

I called in on the November 30th as my internet still wasn't working. TekSavvy said that they would have to give a 24 hour frame for Rogers to respond to the email before they could give them a call.

On Sunday, December 2nd, I still did not have service. I called in again and a representative told me that it could take up to 15 business days before I got service. I was quite fed up and inquired about cancelling the services. The rep told me that I could basically reverse the transaction and get back the month of service that was not used in addition to the activation fee. If I chose to return the modem, there would be a $25 stocking fee and I would have to pay to ship it back. (Thanks TekSavvy......) I decided that I would keep the modem and reverse everything else as the services was already four days delayed with the possibility of up to 15 more days.

I called in the next day Monday, December 3rd to reverse the services. (I switched back to Rogers as they offered my old promotional plan. YES ROGERS! Btw, since Rogers is an established large infrastructure, it takes about 5 minutes on a busy day to connect to customer service. The wait time for tech support at TekSavvy is 20+ mins.) The rep told me that my internet was activated, but I could terminate my service and get back my month and that was it. He said that since it was activated on Dec 3rd, the installation fee could not be refunded. (Thanks TekSavvy.......)

I decided to stay with them for a month and pushed my Rogers activation to be in January. YES ROGERS! TekSavvy promised me 4 days of credit for the services that were not used and a month of free service. They then pretty much backed out of both promotions, so I paid $220 for 26 days of services. I talked to the rep today and he said that TERMINATION DATE IS 30 DAYS FROM THE ACTIVATION DATE. Dec 3rd to Dec 28th does not equal 30. Someone did the math wrong. Anyways, I don't get the four days back nor do I get the free month of service. Terrible, terrible way to treat customers.

I was considering returning to them possibly in the future since I have the modem already and the speed is decent. However, they have a funny way of showing customer appreciation, so I think I'll pass on returning.

I do not and will not recommend this company to anyone.

All conversations with the reps were recorded.

For those interested, my Rogers High Speed Express Internet plan is $44 after tax. The installation fee was waived. The activation fee is $10. The bandwidth is 80 GB with up to 25 Mbps down / 2 Mbps up. My $8 modem rental is waived every month. I'm also going to get a $25 Shoppers Drug Mart gift card which is awesome. YES ROGERS! I never had an issue with Rogers except for the price, so definitely recommend Rogers for internet services.

Comments:

TSILiz
join:2012-08-20

Response.

I'm really sorry to hear about this, to ensure everything was done correctly in your account and to avoid this happening to future customers, please DM us in the Teksavvy Direct forum with your account so we can look into this.

Hey

Though i find their $25 restocking fee a bit of a joke i'm curious about one thing you said and never explained...

Why did the rep ask you to wait 15 business days? That's a new one for sure.

You also said the calls were recorded? By you or them?

Re: Hey

Yeah, the restocking fee is garbage.

Im not sure why the rep stated up to 15 business days to get my internet up and running. I was assured that it would be a smooth transfer, so after that statement and with no internet for 4 days already, people can probably understand why i wanted to be refunded and take my service elsewhere.

The conversations were recorded on their end. I just made that statement obvious for the personnel at TekSavvy that wanted to confirm what i wrote to "improve their service". Actually everything i stated is in my account notes. The rep yesterday read aloud through the notes and verified that it was all true (4 day credit and free month) and then put me on hold only to come back to tell me nothing can be done.

said by annabelle:

Yeah, the restocking fee is garbage.

They actually acknowledged that yup credit written here and here... please hold...

Sorry nothing we can do?

I'm pretty much asking because i've been in a huge debate about setting up a cable connection with TSI for quite some time now and i've been waiting over a year for things to "get better"

Sorry nothing we can do?

Re: Hey

Yeah the rep acknowledged the credits and offers and then put me on hold and came back to tell me nothing could be done on his end. He said I could try calling accounting next weekday, but the company is closed on new years eve and day.... And by Jan 2nd, i will have my rogers services back. Im using my phone data to write this reply since my internet got cut off (26 days of service). At least my phone data (koodo) is reliable.

I don't recommend that you set up services with TekSavvy because i had a terrible experience with them. However, I suggest you do your research and thoroughly read the posts before commiting. A lot of people have had delay in setting up their services, refunds or issues with customer service. The speed is also dependent on location so keep that in mind. There are also a lot of 'blackouts' in which regions with TekSavvy would have no service for a few days. None of this has happened to me with Rogers. It's frustrating dealing with these issues and then not getting reimbursement for their inefficiencies. Its also disappointing to see hear "there's nothing i can do right now. Please call back next week"

said by annabelle:

Well this is why i was askign about cable. I have had and have TSI DSL for going on 5 years. Rock solid but i had it installed when TSI was a baby compared to now. It was far more personal back in 07 dealing with the usual senior techs by name and if you called enough they knew who you were.

I've been waiting for cable to get a little more streamlined but it seems that's never happening. Obviously TSi relies on Rogers trucks to setup but i think it's how TSI handles the customer during the frustration that matters.

I had DSL installed 3 times. First address was smooth, wife was even impressed with how these guys were, (back when Rocky and Marc were teaming it while gabe fed them timbits every day to refuel) Moved to a townhouse and the move order was smooth, no issues what so ever. There were issues with that unit from the builder, so after a year of fighting with the builder we moved into a bigger unit. Move order completed with ease (slight hiccup but wiring issue was my problem and i fixed it)

And still strong to this day. Now mind you i haven't needed tech support for over 3 years now, but i know a lot has changed since i dealt with the new systems, new employees new everything.

Needless to say, i've been waiting for the cable side to be ironed out for over a year now and it's still a mess.

Re: Hey

Its good to hear that you had great support especially from the senior staff. If your dsl is working okay, then perhaps stay with it until TekSavvy customer service improves. I foresee this probably a few years from now as they only have approx 40 support staff at the moment and most of these employees cant do anything for you when an issue arises - they try to pass it onto another rep/department/day. The service itself is decent, but that should be a given as this is what people pay for. I find the defining characteristic in a good service provider is the ability to resolve issues and to compensate when issues can't be fixed in a timely manner. This is something TekSavvy lacks at the moment. It would suck for you to switch to cable and then have problems arise and nothing done to overcome it.

Re: Hey

To be honest i just want to have a rep explain the 15 business day conversation... Curiosity is getting the best of me. We also have a Rogers account setup upstairs for my wife's business and it's rock solid, support is near instant when calling and no wait times in 8 years calling customer service.

Doesn't mean Rogers aren't scum because they are but it is a well oiled machine just crappy packages and prices

Re: Hey

I agree with the pricing for Rogers. It can be ridiculously expensive without promotional plans. But like you said, wait times is really good and Rogers is generally very good about compensating for issues.

Example of customer compensation at TekSavvy:
»[Cable] Terrible customer compensation and customer service

Example of customer compensation

»[Cable] Terrible customer compensation and customer service

·TekSavvy Cable
This is the response from support staff in the TekSavvyDirect forum. If they checked the call recordings and notes, they would see that on Dec 2nd, a rep confirmed with senior management that i could indeed get everything refunded even modem albeit stocking and shipping fees. I've been told a lot of contradictory statements, so her claim about all the staff feeding me correct information seems quite inaccurate. She didn't even address the credits on my account. Thanks TekSavvy....

Hi There,

I'm very sorry you didn't have a good experience with us, unfortunately it looks like a snowball effect where the missed transfer trigged a multitude of issues. Everyone you spoke with did provide you with correct information. Unfortunately because you were cancelling a day before you going to be active we can't refund. Again, I wish there was more we could do but seeing the account everything that was done was the proper action.

If you have any further questions please feel free to either respond to this, or you can even call and speak to an agent at 1-877-779-1575.

Have a great day,
Liz
TSI Elizabeth (Social Media & E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ
 »Official support in the forum

My response: Termination date is 30 days from activation as stated by the last rep i talked to. My services were activated on Dec 3rd as stated by the rep and terminated on Dec 28th. This is 26 days.

TSI Marc
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON

Re: Example of customer compensation

Thanks for the feedback Annabelle, I'll have my team look into this further.
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy
oneonthefly

join:2013-01-02
Whitby, ON

Re: Example of customer compensation

soo,.. as a single parent to three kids, iall they wanted and i could afford for xmas was internet serivce. I checked out tek sav. as seems like a good thing ? i checked the website to confirm service was available in my large centre (whitby ontario). i called the number and again they confirmed the install and availablilty. they sent me an invoice, and welcomed me to the tek sev. family in emails. i paid the invoice and modem costs, and was promised install for dec 28 2012. xmas morning all that was under the tree was a posterboard with Internet written on it by the kids. tek savey was delivering the connection dec 28, so they told me repeatedly. on dec 26 i get a phone call, saying, opps.. service you ordered, paid for, and we confirmed several times is not available in your area. then i recieved an email confirming me cancelling the service that i never did get. i had to break the news to three teens that this company, that claims to be diffrent, better, dependable, and no nonsense, let us down with false promises. so after let down i say, do i get my money back ? they say maybe, after i send back the modem i did not recieve yet. dec 29 i go to post office and refuse delivery of modem as per thier instructions. so now i sit and wait for some promised refund so i can actualy try to get serive elsewhere, and deliver the xmas gift that never was yet. thank you tek sevvey for wrecking a large part of our xmas. thank you for the let down due to your incopentence. i understand if service is not available in our area of 180,00 people, what i dont understand is why your website said sure, you took my money, made promises, made commitments, and then said oppss.. not our fault. i sent emails and i just get,.. opps not our fault. well the fake comitment that service was available in my area was not the fault of the grinch, but rather a compant that seems not to know their ass froma hole in the ground. i am not bitter, i am hurt that a company that promotes itself as caring, and you will be looked after seems to not give a rats ass..

Re: Example of customer compensation

This is worse than my case. They didn't refund anything even after you sent the modem back?

You are entitled to a complete refund if you have not used their services or if the service cannot even be provided to you.

I think you should start your own post. TekSavvy only seems to compensate AFTER you waste a lot of time and energy. You need to clearly state dates and specific statements made in conversations with TekSavvy so that they can go through their notes and recordings and do nothing but return everything to you because everything is true. Do not settle for a restocking fee and make sure they take care of the shipping charges ($10 sent to you and sent back to them).

After this whole ordeal, I have been given back a cheque. I will make a detailed post outlining everything after the sum is in my account.

Perhaps you can request to talk to David. He was very friendly, was willing to admit the mistakes that his employees made and attempted to fix the issues I had instead of brushing me off like many of the other reps.

teksavvyhate

Hi,

I had the WORST customer experience ever when signing up with the DSL plan. I finally filed a complain to Better Business Bureau in order to get all that I want to get off my chest. Roger was the second worst and had to gobble down a glass of red to calm my nerve but I really have to say Teksavvy are the worst for screw up the first order I made and then was force to pay for another "change of service" / activation fee for the one I want originally. What kind of world we live it. I seriously think there are some messed up heads in not only the management but those being guided by the shepherd. I don't think the complains being stated out unreasonable because if they were, people who are smart enjoy would be staying with Teksavvy but they are much smarter and follow their gut for something else.

I am at the point we I have a CHOICE now...Start.ca, Acanac.ca, xinflix.com are available to try out

mslofty

mslofty

Hi readers,

I'm sorry it took so long to update this.

On December 29th, 2012, a representative called me because he didn't want things to escalate. He read through my notes and acknowledged that everything I put on this forum and the TekSavvyDirect forum were true. Additionally, he said that I didn't even have to call during accounting hours to get my credit back, so a big thank you to the multiple reps that tried to waste my time.

As a resolution for the incompetence and poor customer treatment, I received a cheque totaling $142. Details below:
- $123.17 ($99 for the modem, $10 for original shipping, $14.17 for taxes)
- $11.30 for return shipping fee
- $7.53 for 5 days credit (original was 4 days of credit)

I really do appreciate how David (rep) handled the situation. However, I still think that TekSavvy needs to have better training for their customer service. I find it pathetic that I had to waste so much time going back and forth between different representatives and only after I resorted to letting the world know about my situation on this forum was something tangible done. Every claim I made was true as per all recorded conversations, my notes and verbal agreement on a few calls.

I ended up paying $78 for 26 days of service, which is definitely better than $220. The installation fee was not waived, even though there was a 4 day delay, but at least I was able to return my modem without the ridiculous $25 restocking fee and all my shipping fees were reimbursed.

Some advice to people who are interested in TekSavvy as their ISP:

1. The reps will be sugary sweet to you up until you make that initial bulk payment of setting everything up. You will be reassured that everything will be set up accordingly and there will be no issues, but this was not the case for me and it might not be the case for you. It appears that delays are an ongoing issue as there are multiple forum posts where people did not get their internet set up until 2 weeks later, so this is definitely something to keep in mind if access to internet for work or personal use is a must.

2. You are paying for the quality of service - bandwidth and speed, so this is the service you SHOULD be provided with. Do not rate a company high simply because they have met this expectation. TekSavvy has decent internet service but you paid for it!

3. TekSavvy is still a small company so you might have to deal with long wait times and representatives that don't really know what's going on (eg. credits don't need to be addressed with the accounting department as the rep can issue the credit).

4. Customer service needs a massive revamp as there was only one out of probably ten that I dealt with who was able to get to the root of the problem and actually resolve it. It is NOT okay to read through my notes, acknowledge that everything I said was true and then say "sorry, there really is nothing I can do. Please call back another day". You might be passed along to another rep or told to call back another day.

5. Always remember dates of calls and specific notes made! There is nothing that they can refute if all the evidence is there.

6. Do your research. Different things hold a greater value to different people. For me, I cannot stand tardiness in something as simple as setting my internet up, so this was a definitely an unattractive aspect of the ISP. I also cannot stand being mistreated for no reason. Everything I said was true, so I don't understand why it took multiple calls and posts to finally be reimbursed. If these things don't matter as much to you, then TekSavvy is a feasible choice. There are positive reviews as well, so you just need to filter through which aspects of an ISP are most important to you to make an informed decision.

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON

Re: TekSavvy Resolution

Hi Annabelle,

Thank you for posting your update to your review. I am glad that David was able to get things finally resolved for you and I sincerely apologize that it took us quite some time to get to that point.

You are absolutely correct in portraying that we are not perfect. Being perfect is something we strive for but reality is that we will never be, nor will any other provider be perfect. Like all other growing companies, we will always be faced with new challenges and we aim to deal with them rapidly.

Looking further into your situation, it does seem that the majority of the delay was in fact caused by Rogers as they had submitted your order as the wrong service type. Now, I am not trying to shift blame onto them as we did also fail on your order and as your ISP, we need to take the responsibility for the entire experience, which I believe we did, however late. I can say though that we did make sure the associates that failed on our side will receive the development they deserve to ensure we can better the overall customer experience going forward.

I wanted to clarify one of your comments that “The reps will be sugary sweet to you up until you make that initial bulk payment of setting everything up.”… We certainly do not aim for things to be this way. We do not ask our associates to be extra special with new clients or with any clients for a matter of fact. We ask our associates to treat all of our customers with respect, and to do so professionally. I think it may just seem that way because your issues were post signup.

You are correct in saying our wait times are high. For a little while now, wait times have increase and a lot of this has to do with growth. We have hired many associates in efforts to deal with these but it is not until recent that we started looking at internal practices. For example, we have recently dedicated a resource just to look at improving our Technical Support processes. This body is responsible to find efficiencies within the Support/Operations group but also to make the customer experience that much better. We have also recently made changes with the associates so that they can focus on their customers, making sure that they provide their 100% attention to their caller or task. Along with better empowerment of our associates to take ownership, I strongly think that wait times will start to decrease.

At the end of the day, anyone looking for a new ISP will need to make decisions on who they will go with and with that, many people will rely on reviews, such as those found on DSLr and the experiences of their friends & family members. I hope that you can revisit TekSavvy in the future as a feasible choice for internet and by doing so, you will see that we do learn from our mistakes and we strive to make the customer experience extremely enjoyable for all.

Cheers,

Andre
TSI Andre
Director of Service Delivery
Authorized TekSavvy Employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )