TekSavvy Cable page on DSLReports

Review by TLS2000 See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "Unlimited! With Zap The Cap enabled!"
Bad "None found so far"
Overall "Really great service and value for your money!"

·Rogers Hi-Speed
After a few years on the Rogers Ultimate package (grandfathered 75mbps) I finally got to the point where they were charging me $100 extra almost every month due to the amount of time spent on Netflix from my household. I finally said that I'd had enough and put the cancellation order in with Rogerr and ordered TekSavvy's 28/1 service to replace it.

My modem arrived within 2 days of me confirming my payment to them (via online banking). Due to Rogers policy of requiring 30 days notice when you cancel a service with them, I arranged for TekSavvy to be installed on March 29th, 2013, not realizing it was a holiday. That didn't matter, as I was able to disconnect the Rogers modem and hook up the Teksavvy modem without issue.

I did a quick speedtest and speeds were in line with the profile I'm on with speedboost enabled. Youtube streams without issue and Netflix is having no issues either.

All of my questions which were asked on the DSLReports forum were answered promptly by TekSavvy employees, which gave me the confidence to make the switch.

Since I signed up, TekSavvy has switched their interconnection system with Rogers over to something called APOI (Aggregated Point of Interconnection), allowing them to offer higher speeds than the original 28/1 up/down service I had. I'm currently enjoying 150/10 service.

Starting in June, TekSavvy is going to be enforcing their usage caps of 300gb (on my package). Instead of making me pay a higher rate every month like Rogers did, they've come up with an innovative way of allowing me to have unlimited usage. Zap The Cap is TekSavvy's answers to capacity based billing that the cable companies use to bill them. Because Rogers charges them for the maximum capacity that they'll use, TekSavvy's costs are dramatically higher during "peak" periods of 8pm-midnight than they would be if they paid for capacity during non-peak hours. This means that when more people are using their internet, TekSavvy pays drastically more money to Rogers for the capacity to handle them. Zap The Cap gives people on capped connections the ability to ZTC. In exchange for unlimited usage, I enable a switch on TekSavvy's website that limits my download speeds during peak hours to 15mbps (vs the 150mbps that I get outside of peak). As such, TekSavvy has lowered their costs in relation to my connection and they pass that savings on in the form of an unlimited service.

It's a small sacrifice for me, as I do most of my major downloading and streaming during their non-peak hours anyway.

TekSavvy gets an 11/10 from me. They go out of their way to help their customers.

member for 10.6 years, 3372 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Danielle
join:2012-05-31

1 recommendation

re: Your Review

Hi,

Thank you so much for leaving a review. We appreciate knowing when things have gone well and it's been a painless transition. Please keep us updated on how things are going with the service as we go along.

Welcome to the family and enjoy the rest of your holiday weekend!

Danielle