TekSavvy Cable page on DSLReports

Review by enzymes See Profile

• Location: Brampton, ON
Good "Good Internet Service, Good Reputation, Good People at Teksavvy"
Bad "Some connectivity issues"
Overall "Teksavvy is the best of the limited options we have in Ontario."

Hello,

I just logged into the Customer Portal at Teksavvy and it shows my Activation Date as 7/24/2011. So, I've been with Teksavvy for 1 year, 9 months, and 5 days so far.

Let's start from the beginning...

I was a Roger's customer when we moved into our new house in 2010. During that time, we were charged $50 dollars a month with a monthly 60 GB cap. Obviously, we went over the cap every month which was an annoyance to be restricted so much. Eventually, it was a time for a change. So, I went and looked at other options like you are probably now. I saw Teksavvy was pretty active on BBR and checked the Teksavvy forums at on BBR for awhile. Finally, I decided to cancel Rogers and who gave me a termination date 30ish day from when I called to cancel.

I called up Teksavvy and activated my account well before the Roger's termination date to ensure a smooth transition. Teksavvy mailed me a Thompson DCM 425 (DOCSIS 2.0) modem. I had two options when I was registering with Teksavvy. DCM 425 or 475. I went with the cheaper one, the 425. Termination date came, Rogers tech support guy came to collect their modem. After which, I called Teksavvy and they told me to simply plug in the modem (425) and that was it. I was with Teksavvy now.

Since with Teksavvy I never had to worry about bandwidth issues. I am on the 300 GB/monthly plan at $46.97/month and on the 28/1Mbps profile. During my 1 year and 9 months with Teksavvy, it seems every 1-2 months there always seems to be an issue for couple of hours in connectivity issues. Like DHCP issues, DNS issues or just simply Rogers screwing something up. For that reason, I am giving 4/5 on Connection Reliability. It may or may not be Teksavvy fault for these issues, but it still needs to be addressed. Other than this, I don't see any problems with Teksavvy.

However, another issue that bugs me is the issue of my DOCSIS 2.0 modem. Rogers upgraded their connections which gives better upload and download but requires a DOCSIS 3.0 modem. So, I am unfortunately stuck on the 28/1Mbps profile whereas if I had a DOCSIS 3.0 modem, I can bump my connection to a 35/3Mbps profile at the same price. Not really Teksavvy's fault but still an annoyance. Perhaps if there was some trade-in program to mail in a DOCSIS 2.0 modem for a 3.0 one with a small charge would be reasonable fix.

Unfortunately, Canadian Internet sucks. It is pricey in comparison to speeds in other countries at cheaper cost. Teksavvy is the best of the limited options we have in Ontario. Good speeds, reasonable bandwidth cap, good customer service, good tech support.

So, if you are looking for a replacement and sick of Rogers or Bell ripping you off, then you should consider Teksavvy.

Comments:

TSI Martin
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

Your Review

Hello,

Thanks for taking the time in putting in your review. We've read it & have noted what you are saying. We understand the modem dilemma you have and since you are not the only one to have this complaint, we have come up with the following solution.

Due to you being an existing customer with a Docsis 2 modem, we will take $20 off the purchase of DOCSIS 3 modem & waive the $5 Modem Swap fee.

If you would like more details about this, please fee free to call in @ 877-779-1575, email us at sales@teksavvy.com, post in the »TekSavvy Direct forum & we will answer any questions or concerns you have.

Best Regards,
Martin
TSI Martin (Escalations / E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow us on Twitter : @TekSavvyCSR ; @TekSavvyNetwork

MJB

join:2012-01-29

Re: Your Review

the profits that tek make go back to bell and rogers for tariffs on the leased lines to them... capacity based billing