Google Voice page on DSLReports

Review by cbrain See Profile

• Location: Silver Spring,Montgomery,MD
Good "Free service, great features, has worked well for me over 6 years"
Bad "no direct support, little communication or direction for the future"
Overall "great value at twice the price, could be gone tomorrow"

In 2006 I experimented with Asterisk and several VoIP vendors including this service then named GrandCentral. It worked well but I wasn't ready to trust my primary number to a free provider. I experienced unanticipated problems with 2 other providers and started using this as a primary incoming number September 2007. I soon added numbers for family, now 10 numbers.

Incoming call forwarding -

Outbound calling -

Features -

Web clients - Free Google Chrome extension to list voice mail, send free outgoing calls, text messages or dial a number from contacts or on the screen. Other extensions available.

Asterisk/PBX -

ATA - Several available methods to receive free inbound calls and even make free outbound.

Cell phone integration - Google voice plays well with cell phones, especially Android. I can use either number from my contact list or keypad. I use Google Voice voice-mail for both GV and cell numbers. I have 1 mailbox and get notice with text translation of every message. This can be delivered by text message, email, cell notice, by phone or by the Android client. I get notice of missed call and VM message left. One click on the icon and I have a list of all message with text or I can 1 click listen. I can directly return the call from the notice. Both numbers are forwarded on busy, no answer or unreachable. If I'm on either the cell or desk, all my calls ring any listed open phone. Several other interesting apps extend capabilities.

member for 14.5 years, 4196 visits, last login: a few hours ago