Frontier FiOS page on DSLReports

Review by kegill See Profile

• Location: Lynnwood,Snohomish,WA
Good "When it works, it's great"
Bad "On hold for support 2 hours today"

UPDATE 8:53 pm, 30 Sept :
Tech support now says 24-48 hours before the WA DNS issue is fixed.

Just got off the phone with tech support, who confirmed that I cannot change DNS servers even though it looks as though you can do so in the admin interface on the router. "You can only use our DNS servers." No response to why the policy is different from Verizon's, which provides a "how to" guide on bypassing their DSN assistance.

*** Original post ***

Apparently a DNS server went down in Washington state today. But there's nothing that I can find on the Frontier.com website with service status. [*]

So I was on hold for 61 minutes before I got to a tech ... who told me about the (corrected) outage and had me test the line. It was back up. Five minutes after I hung up, I couldn't access Google again. Ping worked, traceroute broken at the router. Two separate calls to support; each call was summarily disconnected at 30 minute wait time.

Our service is 20Mbps/5Mbps. We usually get this or pretty close to this. Sometimes it's half this rate, though.

We are a double-play account. We have had periodic artifacts (pixelation) on DVR recorded shows. We watch PBS and SciFi channels the most -- and almost no live TV. We watched HD Movies this week and had some pixelation there. Frontier has changed our tuner box once. Our modem is still 10/100.

Couldn't log in to the new (yet another redesign) online BillPay today.

We were Verizon FiOS customers, customers who were sold to Frontier so that Verizon could concentrate on more densely populated (more financially lucrative) markets.

[*] But I use OpenDNS ... so now I'm really confused.

Comments: